Left 4 Dead - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With risk of gloating:

I've played FPS for over 7 years, and it's all I play. Take that to mean whatever you like.

With risk of gloating:

I've played FPS for over 7 years, and it's all I play. Take that to mean whatever you like.

and yet despite playing FPS for 7 years you don't know one of the biggest and most reputable FPS gaming companies one and only franchise which is Half Life series by Valve? ( 95% of their other games are mods based off HL engines ) hmmm...take that to mean whatever you like :p

This thread has become pointless. The original question was whether or not the game could be played in a few months. In other words...will the excitement run out? Graphics, Call of Duty, other zombie games, N64, Xbox beta, weapons, and anything else aside, this game certainly has incredible replayability simply because the team play is so amazingly thought out. To be honest, I don't even really have time to admire the graphics, or ***** about the weapons, or think how it compares to CoD because I'm much too busy frantically covering mine and my team's asses. And when it's all done I sit back and tell them what a good job we did to make it through.

This thread isn't pointless because it contains examples of me disproving Craze opinions ( or rather his fact claims ) wrong with facts, an example would be weapons too weak. 1 bullet from a weak pistol in the head of a zombie kills it, therefore the only way to make that any stronger is to kill a zombie with no bullets fired from the weapon? That doesn't make any sense...hence its reasonable to assume that his statement was proved incorrect ( theres a entire opinion/fact/thoery argument which proves that even facts are opinions...but I don't want to get into that...as Zmatt once said, theres a general concensus that can be made, like Crysis has amazing graphics )

Easy: I don't like Valve games, therefore I do not follow them.

I was pretty sure HL was by Valve, but wasn't 100% sure so covered myself with that statement.

Glad to see you're veering off course to iterate my ignorance of Valve, thanks.

Easy: I don't like Valve games, therefore I do not follow them.

I was pretty sure HL was by Valve, but wasn't 100% sure so covered myself with that statement.

Glad to see you're veering off course to iterate my ignorance of Valve, thanks.

I don't mean to be off subject or offensive...I just find it kind of hard to believe such a dedicated gamer like yourself whos into FPS gaming would not know that ( but now I know so lets drop that ). Lastly I find it incredibly hard to believe you don't like Valve games ( I have never met anyone in my life actually who shared this opinion believe it or not ). Besides the fact that they are the highest rated games of all time ( Orange box is the 4th top best rated game of ALL time ) and can be thanked for help saving PC gaming in 2004, may I inquire as to what you don't like about Valve games...or rather game series ( their only series is HL ). Have you played through Half life 1 and 2? Portal? ( considered the best game of all time by Yahtzee ) TF2?

I've only played a very small bit of HL1, so really I can't comment on those. The few Valve games that I have played (CSS, TF2, L4D(demo), maybe others, I don't remember really), I didn't like. I don't feel like going into detail as to why I didn't like them.

I was never a big fan of Valve, and I know a lot of people that share those feelings. I don't know why you feel you need to speak for the rest of the gaming community, however, not everybody likes Valve, sorry.

I very much liked the Medal of Honor series, the Battlefield series, the Call of Duty series, and then some random not-in-a-series games.

I do not like the Valve engine (HL engine) very much. Most of their games seem to have the same "feel" to it, with slight differences.

Also, it matters not to me how popular a game is or isn't, I play them based on whether or not I like them, end of. I couldn't give two *bleep* if the game is rated high on some dude-who-is-getting-paid-to-say-so's review blog.

EDIT: OH! But there is a Valve game I like...Portal! Great game....

I've only played a very small bit of HL1, so really I can't comment on those. The few Valve games that I have played (CSS, TF2, L4D(demo), maybe others, I don't remember really), I didn't like. I don't feel like going into detail as to why I didn't like them.

I was never a big fan of Valve, and I know a lot of people that share those feelings. I don't know why you feel you need to speak for the rest of the gaming community, however, not everybody likes Valve, sorry.

I very much liked the Medal of Honor series, the Battlefield series, the Call of Duty series, and then some random not-in-a-series games.

I do not like the Valve engine (HL engine) very much. Most of their games seem to have the same "feel" to it, with slight differences.

Also, it matters not to me how popular a game is or isn't, I play them based on whether or not I like them, end of. I couldn't give two *bleep* if the game is rated high on some dude-who-is-getting-paid-to-say-so's review blog.

EDIT: OH! But there is a Valve game I like...Portal! Great game....

well you shared your opinion and I shared my opinion along with facts and I think it should end there. Lastly...this may be a strange request, but is there anyway I can contact these people who do not like Valve games? I'm not going to harass them or anything, I just want to get to know their hopefully more well developed reasoning. IMHO ( I can't stres this enough ) your reasoning is very flawed and only reinforced with more flaws by that fact that you never played the base game HL2 and got very little experience with HL1. Lastly, not all professional critics can be bribed to give high scores, so please throw that argument out.

PS: Concerning professional critics, I know they have opinions too, however I have stated before, their opinions tend to be far more in depth then the casual gamer ( their vast experience helps them with their decisions ), and contrast highly compared to some of the kiddies out there who play a game for 5 minutes and give it a 1 out of 10 score. So yes indeed I do hold more value to the opinions of professional critics...Obviously my own opinion matters to me most...but I would think it would be foolish to not hold any weight to professional opinions

Lastly I leave you with this: ( you can guess it's not the scores of Barbies adventures :p )
GameSpot 10/10/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
IGN 10/9/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
PC Gamer 11/1/2007 94 out of 100 94.0%
Game Informer 11/1/2007 9.75 out of 10 97.5%
Play Magazine 11/1/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
Worth Playing 11/20/2007 9.3 out of 10 93.0%
GameZone 11/1/2007 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
Gaming Age 11/1/2007 A 95.0%
Jolt UK 10/16/2007 9.9 out of 10 99.0%
1UP 10/16/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%

Your posts wreak of fanboy. You do not understand an opinion at all, and somehow think that because I do not like a game, my reasoning is flawed and that I have to write out a length 10 page review in great detail as to why I do not like a game. Sorry, ain't going to happen.

lol @ your "strange request". I think it would take a while to dish out my 600+ contacts on Xfire, a good portion of which side with me.

I also take it to understand that you enjoy every FPS ever given a good rating by a critic, simply because if they say it's good, it most definitely must be good.

What makes a good game is entirely subjective and therefore can not be factional. I can not explain why the impulses in my brain say NO to Valve, they just do. I do not enjoy their games. I get frustrated with the games and stop playing them. They do not suck me in and make me stay up into the wee hours of the morning because I can't stop playing, much like the other series do that I mentioned above.

It is apparent that you are going to post the same thing over and over again (rambling about what your "professional critics" have to say) so therefore I will stop arguing, and just laugh at your silly arguments.

Ok Gabb it ends here.

Clearly you dont want to accept the fact that if someone doesnt like a game, they just dont like it. You have no right in saying anyones reasoning is flawed simply because they dont like valve games in general.

"Professional" critics mean nothing here, if i dont like a game i flat out dont like it. It can be the most played game in the world, and not be liked.

Just because someone says the game is worth a 10/10 doesnt mean crap to me, ill be the judge for myself whether a game is good or not. Games are not made for critics, they are made for people to play.

Many people dont like valve games, i tried them and didnt like them. CrazeD said he doesnt like them, and im sure many others on here dont like them as well.

You act as if its some sort of a sin not to like valve games, guess what its not. Its called personal preference, which we all have. Just give it up already, you like the games thats fine, we dont look at you wrong for it.

But dont try to push something onto others that they simply dont like. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the reasoning behind not liking a game...pretty much what CrazeD said those games just dont suck me in or appeal to me.

I'll address both rican and Craze posts here, here are some points I like to make

1. I understand that your opinion of a game is what ultimately matters most to you as I stated:

"PS: Concerning professional critics, I know they have opinions too, however I have stated before, their opinions tend to be far more in depth then the casual gamer ( their vast experience helps them with their decisions ), and contrast highly compared to some of the kiddies out there who play a game for 5 minutes and give it a 1 out of 10 score. So yes indeed I do hold more value to the opinions of professional critics...Obviously my own opinion matters to me most...but I would think it would be foolish to not hold any weight to professional opinions"

so thanks for agreeing with me...although you kind of acted like you were disagreeing but just restated one my points

2. Rican I accepted Crazes opinion, but I do have a right to say it was flawed reasoning because that was my opinion of his opinion. IMHO, his reasoning provided very little insight into why he didn't like Valve games ( and he stated he wasn't going too ) and I suspect that reason is because he has put very little thought into this. I was merely asking for his reasons so I can understand it, I have a right to do that...this is in fact a message board. Sure I was trying to convince him at the same time, but as many know, thats very futile 99% of the time on an internet message board.

3. I understand even the best game in the world can be not liked by someone...I just like to amuse myself in hearing their reasons for not liking a particularly universally acclaimed game, because their reasoning I find is often very short and very unspecific ( example: gun mechanics are bad, not fun, etc etc )

4. Lastly its too bad he won't let me talk to these Valve haters, I just wanted to hear more opinions and their reasonings as to why the game is bad. You treat me as if I'm some sort of criminal at times for just wanting to hear other peoples opinions and debating with them...isn't that the whole point of a message board? :( You disagreed with many when it came to COD5, how is this any different?

5. Oh and also Craze wasn't always stating his opinions, he made a few claims such as - not enough ammo, weapons are too weak, these can be interpreted as fact claims since number comparisons can be drawn up which I did bring up. They can be argued and are only in a grey area of subjectivity when word definition is brought up....oh yeah...and I just realized Craze doesn't even own any Valve games...hmmm...

PS: I think its incredibly ironic also how you point out me tellin my opinion that Crazes opinionated reasonings were flawed is incredibly wrong, when you say nothing when Zmatt flat out says my opinions mean nothing

2. Rican I accepted Crazes opinion, but I do have a right to say it was flawed reasoning because that was my opinion of his opinion. IMHO, his reasoning provided very little insight into why he didn't like Valve games ( and he stated he wasn't going too ) and I suspect that reason is because he has put very little thought into this. I was merely asking for his reasons so I can understand it, I have a right to do that...this is in fact a message board. Sure I was trying to convince him at the same time, but as many know, thats very futile 99% of the time on an internet message board.

Why don't some people like the color red? Why do some people like muscle cars better than SUV's?

It's called personality, it's what makes people different. There's no definitive reason I don't like Valve games, I just don't - plain and simple.

5. Oh and also Craze wasn't always stating his opinions, he made a few claims such as - not enough ammo, weapons are too weak, these can be interpreted as fact claims since number comparisons can be drawn up which I did bring up. They can be argued and are only in a grey area of subjectivity when word definition is brought up.

Once again you confuse opinion with fact. It is my opinion that the guns do not have enough ammo. In other words, I would rather they had more ammo. "Enough" is subjective and can not be tied to a fact, that just doesn't make sense, for there is no rule to define "enough".

I don't know why you are continuing with this. We don't like the game, yet you try desperately to hang on to the fact that our reasons are flawed because you like the game and we don't. Drop it, this is going no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom