Left 4 Dead Survival Pack Will Be Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the same generalization back in the day when people said, "starcraft is just warcraft in space." I think your statement is unfair because it completely disregards the whole co-op game mechanics that make the game work so well in that it pretty much forces you to work together as a team ( saving eachother, using team based formations and tactics etc ) and this is completely disregarding the versus mode. Also the AI director I think mixes it up enough to keep things fresh for a while ( people have different opinions on what a while exactly means ). L4D may not exactly be revolutionary gameplay but it offers enough engine improvements and simple clean fun gameplay with friends to say it earned the metascore it got. Just my 2 cents which has been expressed before

This is exactly my point :D. Its not a technological break through in any means (not counting AID), but it does the old "fun system" so well. Starcraft was, aswell, not a techno break through, but it was built to adhere to ideas that were popular. In the end it became one of the world's most played video games.

Left4dead just adheres to what is fun, what is "good" gaming, and...in a sense reanimates the multiplayer genre (playing WITH people/friends).

That's just my view of it....Its age old shooting mechanics, movement, and something less than a story, but put in the right environment this isn't bad. Just not everyone's cup of tea.

You could argue that in some way, left 4 dead is pushing through the mainstream idea of what first person shooting gameplay has been about from day 1. That's where the innovation and appeal of left 4 dead is.

You aren't an all power being, you bleed and you die as easy as anything else in the game. You are NOT being rewarded for concentrating on self preservation; you are rewarded -- through surviving a level-- by concentrating on what is best for the team.

EDIT: Left 4 Dead fills a gap that many gamers, including myself, have felt for quite some time.

A fast paced but non-selfish(non-typical), purely co-op driven first person shooter. (that happens to have zombies).

For further description, please read the entirety of my post as to why I feel Left 4 Dead warrants praise.

I guess....I'm not arguing l4d warrants praise, but what I'm saying is...in a sense the exact same thing as you.

All those traits you listed are not new. They've been implemented at one time or another, but left4dead was the first to use them all and carry it out very well.

Individually, these traits are not new. But it is a huge achievement to combine all of these, or even a few of these qualities together; it had never even been attempted or executed well. And like I say, breaking a mainstream gaming mold is a very risky and rare thing to witness nowadays.

Individually, these traits are not new.
All those traits you listed are not new
Yeah...
aaronkupen said:
But it is a huge achievement to combine all of these, or even a few of these qualities together; it had never even been attempted or executed well.
They've been implemented at one time or another, but left4dead was the first to use them all and carry it out very well.
Yeah...

A fast paced but non-selfish(non-typical), purely co-op driven first person shooter. (that happens to have zombies).

For further description, please read the entirety of my post as to why I feel Left 4 Dead warrants praise.

sounds like counter strike. If you against a good team or good bots you have to rely on others. In fact, it sounds like a lot of co-op fps. And the party game genre in general.

sounds like counter strike. If you against a good team or good bots you have to rely on others. In fact, it sounds like a lot of co-op fps. And the party game genre in general.

I don't need to be rude, but you're just flat out wrong. CS:S is rampant with people who feel like going "rambo"; every online fps will have its group of people who play as a team -- either as a clan or a group of friends. But these people are in the minority, and the gameplay itself doesn't necessarily force co-op activity whatsoever. These ideas also apply to all of the other first person online shooters on the market. Actually, I'm even finding trouble finishing this because making a comparrison like that between CS:S and L4D is just plain foolish at its core.

I can't see how you can get this confused unless you blatantly have a dislike for left 4 dead so much-- for whichever reason -- that you refuse to give it any credit for going against the traditional barriers.

I can't see how you can get this confused unless you blatantly have a dislike for left 4 dead so much-- for whichever reason -- that you refuse to give it any credit for going against the traditional barriers.

Now I know Apok has a word for that...........

Perhaps it is blind fanboyism, but for some reason I find a lot of people who love valve games and wont take any criticism of them. of course anyone who is a skeptic or did not enjoy the game is labeled as a hater. I played the game, it was meh. The lack of weapons, and the repetitive play got me down. It felt like it was counter strike with less weapons and zombies. They have a free mod for that and I got as much cooperation out of it as in L4D.

You talk as if L4D is the only Coop game around. I contest that assertion. I remember playing Halo pc back ion 2003. That was cooperative. If the other team had any skill you had to work together. When you went for the flag there need to be someone just out of sight in a warthog ready to take you home.

Maybe L4D makes the medal of Honor types work together, but some of us have been doing that since they first brought multiplayer to FPS's.

L4D isn't a bad game, but what it is, is a rehash of old and tired technology on a semi-innovative gameplay style. that game should not cost as much as major titles. It is a mod and nothing else. **** they didn't even change the name of HL2.exe. What separates HL2 and all other source games are simply the objects they give you. The engine, physics, lighting, control system, net code, everything else is the same.

By that right L4D isn't a new game, its a mod or expansion pack. Whatever you call it I wont pay top dollar for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom