LCD vs CRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likspiker1337

Solid State Member
I've recently been looking into getting an LCD to replace my CRT monitor. Slow response times on LCD monitors have kept me away from them, because of the ghosting effect of long response times of the older LCDs. I've been looking at getting the Samsung 930BF LCD or the ViewSonic VX924 because of their fast gray to gray response times that supposedly eliminate ghosting. I also tested out a similiar (a 930b) Samsung model at Best Buy and it looked like there wasnt any ghosting. Another issue that comes to mind is with shooters like CS where framerate is key and having the highest refresh rate on your monitor the better (around 100hz ideally). Will an LCD bottleneck my CS performance since LCD's dont run at 100hz refresh rate?

I have the Samsung 930B and love it. The only problem is it doesn't look that great at 1024x768, which is why I went out and bought a 6800GT so I could play my games at the native resolution of 1280x1024. Honestly, my games have never looked this good. Let me also say that I got this monitor without any dead pixels as well. Im not sure about the Viewsonic, I haven't had any experience with it.

Thats good to know. I do need to upgrade my rig soon, im running a 3000+ barton with a gig of DDR 333 and a FX 5900 ultra. Been kind of putting it off because i'd want to upgrade mobo and proc to take advantage of PCI-e for a new video card.

What about latency issues like with CS? Its kind of common knowledge that higher FPS = better...something to do with your refresh rate and how that effects the rate that you talk to the server. So in essence someone with higher refresh rate and FPS will have an advantage over someone with low refresh rate / FPS.

LCDS dont refresh like CRTs do. Today's LCD monitors typically have a refresh rate of 55-75 Hz, which is plenty fast enough for games. But comparing refresh rates between CRTs and LCDs is like comparing apples to oranges. CRTs are refreshed to re-illuminate a phosphor on the screen; they usually require a 70 Hz or higher refresh rate in order to appear truly flicker-free. LCDs are flicker-free by design, and are refreshed simply to show updates, such as "motion" in movies or games.

Probably the main cause of a "blurry" LCD is that it is simply set to the wrong resolution. Unlike CRTs, LCDs are designed to operate at a single, optimal resolution and refresh rate (e.g. 1280x1024 pixels and 60 Hz). If set to anything else, the display will be noticeably poorer.

Mine runs at 60Hz and there are no issues whatsoever playing games like HL2, DOOM3 and BF2. Oh it is wise to use v-sync but this is, I believe, more a video card isssue....cheers.

Hope that sells ya!

likspiker1337 said:
Yep thx!

Probably going to look into buying a new video card as well.

I would suggest no less than the 6800 GT if you are looking at a good video card to pair with a 19" LCD. If you get a weak video card, you may have to run games at 1024x768, which will be noticable lower quality being that its not the native resolution.

Like I said earlier though, if you have a good video card paired with a nice 19" LCD, you can't beat the quality.

beedubaya said:
I would suggest no less than the 6800 GT if you are looking at a good video card to pair with a 19" LCD. If you get a weak video card, you may have to run games at 1024x768, which will be noticable lower quality being that its not the native resolution.

Like I said earlier though, if you have a good video card paired with a nice 19" LCD, you can't beat the quality.

I agree, partially. But i must say im pretty dam impressed with my 6600gt graghics. Just cant put all settings on high. Doom3, HL2, Bf2 are all amazing graghically. Also i dont get as good FPS as I would with a 6800gt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom