Lag reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathville

In Runtime
I'm getting a lot of lag when playing online games, especially Bioshock 2. Its fine on single player (60 FPS) but on multiplayer its a lagfest. I have an HD 5770 with a Q6200 Quad Core Processor @ 2.66 GHz. So this leads me to suspect that its an internet lag problem, not a computer lag. Though I have no idea on how to overcome it. Any tips on how I can decrease online lag?

Can you do a speed test? (Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test)

Try killing your firewall when gaming online, and see if that helps?

What router do you have? Do you know if it has a QoS section? Setting up Quality of Service may improve responsiveness between the game, and servers. (Enables better bandwidth allocation for certain applications)

If you're on a slow internet connection (low-end DSL/Cable), one with abnormally high ping (satellite), or have an ISP that throttles internet speeds during peak hours, or after you've used xxx amount of bandwidth over a given time period, this will not help you much.

how much and what kind of ram do you have?

8 GB DDR2
You can always forward ports for the game your playing online.

I already enabled this computer as DMZ+, shouldn't that do the trick?
Can you do a speed test? (Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test)

Try killing your firewall when gaming online, and see if that helps?

What router do you have? Do you know if it has a QoS section? Setting up Quality of Service may improve responsiveness between the game, and servers. (Enables better bandwidth allocation for certain applications)

If you're on a slow internet connection (low-end DSL/Cable), one with abnormally high ping (satellite), or have an ISP that throttles internet speeds during peak hours, or after you've used xxx amount of bandwidth over a given time period, this will not help you much.

I have 2.01 Mbps for download and 0.52 Mbps for upload. Is that good?

Yeah I know my ISP throttles bandwidth for sure, but what are usually peak hours?

Yeah I know my ISP throttles bandwidth for sure, but what are usually peak hours?

Your speeds look pretty crappy compared to my comcast speeds. I would say the peak hours would be from 8am to 8pm, but I'm only guessing.

It's not the greatest, but still usable for online gaming. However, what is the average ping? That's the amount of time it take for your computer to communicate with a server.

At my old apartment complex, I was at the same speeds, but only had a 0-4ms ping, which is almost unheard of, with such low speeds.

Peak hours are totally dependent on your ISP, but do average around 8am-8pm as Slay suggested. A local cable company throttles from 6am-11pm on week days, and even more on the weekends. (Which is why I went with DSL. :p)

I have some issues on my 6mb connection, and even had some issues with my old 30mb connection (due to latency issues.)

I'm not sure how Bioshock 2 online works, but do you know the IP of the server you're connecting to?

If you do, open a command prompt (Start --> Run --> type in CMD) (Windows Key + R), type in ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace the xxx's with the IP address.) That'll tell you the ping between you and the server. Which may be lower or higher than the ping from the speed tests.

823800955.png

Bioshock 2 online kinda sucks. There's no indicator of servers or anything. its exactly like the online of a console version.

Dumb suggestion. but make sure you have turn off any other download programs that might be running in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom