Jaggie appearing in all 1080P monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonifide_C

Baseband Member
I finally found what the culprit is for my 1920 X 1080 screen and this is something call "Jaggie", Jaggies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It the reason why I don't play console game anymore, and it really hurt your eye and is just awful looking. That is what I mean when I say all games including Bad Company 2 is bad looking due to the fact that 1080p has way too much Jaggie. If you know a solution to somehow disable by some miracle please let me know. I never had jaggie problems with my old 1050 monitor unless of course the resolution is not set to max. Playing San Andreas was as smooth, clear and visually sharp. Knowing what the graphic look like I put that game in my new monitor, and so much jaggie and I vow to never buy a 16:9 aspect monitor ever again. The same also can be said for Counter Strike Source, so the culprit is the 1080P monitor and I cannot wait until I order a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor and see for myself how Crysis and Bad Company 2 look. I will be in gaming heaven by then.

Why is it that 1080 look significantly worst than 1050 when it has more pixel? Is this the reason why the console game look bad, and if I had a 16:10 monitor with an HDMI input, that even though the image for console game would be stretch, it would look 10 X better than on an HDTV?

Hunh, that is odd - I don't really get any jaggies on my 1080p from 360.

I don't have any problems with mine. One 1080p 60" in the living room and two 1080p 21.5" monitors for this computer. All look wonderful. All I see is small bits of jaggies when I have AA off.

My guess is that on the 1680x1050 monitor the image was being stretched, blurring the jaggies so you couldn't notice them. Consoles really aren't powerful enough for AA, that's why you see jaggies on the 1080p monitor at its native resolution. :tongue:

I don't have any problems with mine. One 1080p 60" in the living room and two 1080p 21.5" monitors for this computer. All look wonderful. All I see is small bits of jaggies when I have AA off.

My guess is that on the 1680x1050 monitor the image was being stretched, blurring the jaggies so you couldn't notice them. Consoles really aren't powerful enough for AA, that's why you see jaggies on the 1080p monitor at its native resolution. :tongue:

Then wouldn't it better not to see the Jaggie with the 1050 instead of the 1080? Why would you settle for 1080p then?

I never had 1200p but I'm guessing it would look the same as 1050p because they are both 16:10 contrast ratio am I right?

While what you say is true and thank you for answering my question, how come the 360 look very good on my old non HDTV? I think the HDTV is the problem, Jaggie makes game unplayable.

Can you take screenshot of games that you play on your 1080p monitor? If I see Jaggie I can point it out to you.

Rep will be added.

if you can do the same thing as well Yamikotai.

Thanks guy.

Hunh, that is odd - I don't really get any jaggies on my 1080p from 360.

How do you not see Jaggie when you play your 360. I go to my local bestbuy and even the nice samsung HDTV have Jaggie. Latest games like NBA Live 10 don't have that many Jaggie. Cod4 and X-Men Wolverine have so much Jaggie it unplayable IMO.

What TV do you use?

It so bad I'm going back to my old analog TV to play 360 games.

Wait, wait. You're talking about consoles, right? Don't they only output 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p? Anything displayed on a 1680x1050 monitor would be upscaled because it's displayed at a lower resolution than the monitors native res. Same goes for a 1920x1200 monitor: the picture would be stretched (unless the monitor can display it with the black bars on the top and bottom)

These are anti aliasing problems, correct? As far as I'm aware, console games only go to like 4xAA, but I could be wrong. Some games don't do it at all because they are so processor intensive.

On any size or resolution screen, you are going to see jaggies on console games if you sit close enough. Because you are right up to it with monitors, you see lots of jaggies, especially since they are upscaled. Switching to 1200 or 1050p isn't going to help you whatsoever.

As far as I know, at least 4x AA is compulsory on the PS3 and 360.

What TV do you use?

It so bad I'm going back to my old analog TV to play 360 games.
I use my 1080p monitor in my sig. I mean, there are a few games where it's obvious, but on MW2, FFXIII and GH3 (the games I play most) I don't really notice any.

For example, MW2 on 360:
modern-warfare-2-xbox360-d.jpg

I remember older games, like Oblivion, having a ton of jaggy.

Usually I play my consoles on a 60" Sony SXRD 1080p or something.. I don't know the details. I don't see anything wrong with the picture on that.

As far as I know, at least 4x AA is compulsory on the PS3 and 360.

I use my 1080p monitor in my sig. I mean, there are a few games where it's obvious, but on MW2, FFXIII and GH3 (the games I play most) I don't really notice any.

For example, MW2 on 360:
modern-warfare-2-xbox360-d.jpg

I remember older games, like Oblivion, having a ton of jaggy.

Thanks mate, but MW2 does not have that much Jaggie compare to COD4, would you happen to have that game and post your a picture of it?

Alright so what I found out from my monitor is that majority of the games have Jaggie except too. Batman, Call of Juarez, Bad company 2, Crysis, and Empire total war all have Jaggie and for me that unplayable. However I finally got to see what good graphic is like, and games that don't have Jaggie are Just Cause 2 and Supreme Commander 2, and OMG it running on 1080p, so I don't know why new games like Bad Company look jaggie?

My best bet right now is to get a 1920 X 1200 monitor perhaps at Tiger-direct so if anything is wrong I can return but I was wonder if I should get another ASUS monitor, one that run in the 16:10 contrast ratio format? It like 100 bucks cheaper than the HP which is the cheapest 1920 X 1200 out there. I guess I probably should not considering that you get what you pay more.

If you want I can post pic of all the games I mention and you guys can see why I'm so frustrated and so excited when games like Just Cause 2 and Supreme Commander look sharp. I'm a graphic ***** btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom