I'm done with EA. Period.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
As the title suggests, I'm 100% done with EA. I will not give them my money ever again. I had a lot of fun playing games like BF1942 and BF2 at LANs but that was the only time I could play those games (or 2142) in a real multiplayer environment. I've had the game forever (physical and Steam) with no one to really play with. Recently found Revive (like 2 weeks ago) and have played 5 64 player matches from start to finish, was ranking my soldier etc. Next thing EA goes and does this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...no-longer-supported-battlefield-games.238251/

I'm ****in done. They have literally done everything possible to RUIN gaming as we know it. Anything they touch turns to garbage. The studios they buyout turn to producing heartless bull**** as a money grab on the titles previously produced. New Battlefield titles pop out like Call of Duty titles. The problems that have been around since BF3 haven't been fixed in 2 engine changes. They don't listen to their community at all, don't listen to their studios, and **** on anything that doesn't make them money. Now they're stopping people that paid good money from continuing to enjoy their product after the fact. This was the last straw for me after seeing how terrible Blandromeda was. Done.

/rant

Revive was great.. BF2 and 2142 were the last good Battlefield games IMO. 3 was meh, never bought one after that.

Yep- I am done with them as well - and have been for some time. I only have Origin if I want to go back and play old games that I have on that website.

I don't think I have any of their games I want to play now anyway. Until they develop a good mass effect game. Or remaster the old ones.

From the way I'm reading this, it appears that Revive was distributing copies of games...

"Revive Network were distributing modified versions of the older Battlefield titles along with a launcher that allowed access to its own, rewritten server infrastructure - and this seems to be the reason why EA sought closure."

If revive had a patch for games to link the fan server instead of giving out a complete game, I bet EA wouldn't have even cared...

But I don't have Origin or play EA games, haven't played them in years... SO this is only speculation...

Still a Sh1T3 thing to do IMO. EA could have had a cash cow in hand if they worked with Revive instead of shutting it down...

It wouldn't have mattered because if it was just them distributing the game via their client they would have just said don't do that and carry on. Instead they shut down the whole works which their client was for 3 games. Their client used retail disc copies AND Steam copies, of which you can't buy anymore anyways. The game is absolutely useless without their modifications because of MP needing Gamespy, so it only made sense for them to provide the game (since EA took down all copies in favor of new BF titles). I was legit having fun playing the game like it was 2006 all over again. Nope, EA just has to **** all over everything.

It's sad, because so many people support these modern multiplayer games out the wazoo, but none of them seem to have the ability to host your own local server for game play.

It these companies would just spend a little time creating a server component for local play... Oh, wait, that goes against their"anti-piracy" DRM these days.

Eventually the same crap is going to happen to Diablo II, Diablo III, WarcraftIII, WoW, SCII, SC. It's just a matter of time. Thankfully Diablo II, SC, and WCIII allow hosting your own LAN side games...

I'm not arguing but what is an appropriate time for a developer to support a game.

If I buy let's say madden 18. This years game. How many years should it be supported

Sports games should be less years in my mind than mp shooters. But even shooters have a life span.

I remember reading something a few years ago that said a company was shutting down a game after 15 years and I created a fire storm.

It's sad, because so many people support these modern multiplayer games out the wazoo, but none of them seem to have the ability to host your own local server for game play.

It these companies would just spend a little time creating a server component for local play... Oh, wait, that goes against their"anti-piracy" DRM these days.

Eventually the same crap is going to happen to Diablo II, Diablo III, WarcraftIII, WoW, SCII, SC. It's just a matter of time. Thankfully Diablo II, SC, and WCIII allow hosting your own LAN side games...
BF2 does have a dedicated server, and Revive changed it to work online without the Gamespy stuff. Revive always had a few 64 player maps full or almost full at any time. It was glorious.

I'm not arguing but what is an appropriate time for a developer to support a game.

If I buy let's say madden 18. This years game. How many years should it be supported

Sports games should be less years in my mind than mp shooters. But even shooters have a life span.

I remember reading something a few years ago that said a company was shutting down a game after 15 years and I created a fire storm.
Most games like that don't even get support after so long, they only keep the servers up. In this case, EA did nothing as it was all done by the Revive group for 3 games. People could host their own servers too and be seen in the list like other "official" Revive servers. EA just came in after 3 years and put a stop to it because they had almost a million players. Guarantee they don't give a **** about the game client being provided, it's all about the dollar sign. A million players playing 10 year old games are a million players EA thinks will be on BF1 or Battlefront 2.

Back
Top Bottom