how much memory does vista really take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane12m

In Runtime
Hey I was wondering say I have 1gig of ram how much is that really for a game that requires 1 gig of ram is there a way to tell how much you really have for games because I know vista hogs ram,,, is there a site like systemrequirementslab.com thats vista friendly because for example that site says I can run Doom 3 pretty well but in reality i cant because of the hogging of ram. Is there a way to know how much ram is really being hogged? thanks

1 gig of ram will run vista fine....and most games fine....but running 2 gigs of ram will make you see a noticeable difference. Also, with new DX10 games coming out, 2 gigs of ram will be the norm in computers.

Vista actually uses about 512mb or ram as thats why a vista pc or laptop will be pretty awful

Edit: I mean a vista pc or laptop with 512mb RAM will be awful

My laptop I got the day before Black Friday came with 1gb RAM and with Vista. I just upgraded to a single stick of 2gb about 6 hours ago. So far, I don't see a really noticable speed difference, however it seems to have more tolerance with more programs running, which definitely comes from the higher RAM of course.

Well as well as integrated memory, You have to add that in to if you dont have a seperate graphics card.

yeah on this backup pc im on i have 1gb pc3200 and vista. memory constantly sits at around 48% with just this IE window and winamp running.

windows aero Off btw.

runs as smooth as butter unless I try doign a ton of things at once. That's a given though.

Vista actually uses about 512mb or ram as thats why a vista pc or laptop will be pretty awful

Edit: I mean a vista pc or laptop with 512mb RAM will be awful

Its not so much processes using the memory up in vista..but more so the limitations of the 32-bit vista OS...that entire address space thing..and using the first 1GB of memory space...and having a video card with larger memory thus taking away more for available memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom