How good is the 6600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, HL2 perfomance IMO is less than stellar. there are so many instances where 1280x1024 noAA just goes down the drain. 1152x864 i've seen gives me a solid fps throughout. but to cheer me up, i just play Far Cry maxed 1280x1024 2xAA/8xAF at 60+fps

lol yeah. i've heard that nvidia has now almost perfected their manufacturing of their 6800 chips and most all of them can be unlocked to 16 pixel pipes and 6 vertex units. are you going to try and unlock them?

Maybe half life 2 doesnt perform spectacurely on nvidia cards, it was optimized 4 ATI. I run it on highest rez, highest settings including reflect all, and 8 AA and 16 AF at 60-70 FPS.

I heard it was only the AGP 6800s that could be unlocked

dhw200 said:
Maybe half life 2 doesnt perform spectacurely on nvidia cards, it was optimized 4 ATI.

Not true.

See this is why I don't understand why it's so hard to solve these stupid flame wars...

ATI optimized games are still able to be played well on nVidia card.
nVidia optimized games... are barely playable on ATI cards.

I mean come on guys.

well, i'm dissapointed because in many areas, my 9500 Pro was getting better performance with similar settings in HL2. the upgrade to my 6800 only gave me enough horsepower to increase the resolution to 1152x864 noAA/4xAF.

In other games like Far Cry where i was playing at medium to low settings at 1024x768 noAA/noAF on my 9500 Pro, i can now run it maxed at 1280x1024 2xAA/8xAF, and still get a better fps than what i had on my 9500. I figured that i would get a better fps in HL2 like i had with far cry, but i guess not.

Heyyo,

Well, HL2 is ati optimized yes. But the gap isin't unbearable like D3. Now at least ATI rocks in D3 since the newest ATI Catalyst drivers work wonders onnit now. Switch, I'm sure it'll be the same with HL2. Just need to wait for nvidia to kick into developping drivers that support FS32 better than before. This is the only so called "optimization".. apparently nvidia cards only work good on FS16, which is obviously lower-quality.. so I think of this as less of an optimization, and more of a wake-up call for nvidia to make better drivers. Worked for ati and d3 now diddn't it? ;)

Now:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-07.html

before:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

note: there was a change in test setup, but look..

x800 XT PE, before and after:
71.1F/S and now 110.2F/S

6800 ultra before and after:
77.5F/S and now 108.7F/S

From losing to well.. barely wining. Yep.

I still wouldn't but an X-series card for Doom 3 if my life depended on it. hell, except for HL2, the 6800 that CS and I have will cut through anything else like a warm knife through buttah.

oh yeah, CS and I can also run Splinter Cell Chaos Theory at better settings than the X850 XT-PE ever will! Hell yeah HDR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom