HL: Lost Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
I do agree with the HDR being way overdone in this. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with HDR....unlike shadows and textures, etc...it doesn't really add to the realism and gaming effect. Yeah, it looks pretty, but a lot of the time it doesn't make since because it is so unrealistic.

I actually think HDR adds to the realism especially to the surface of textures when light is shined upon it. The water in LC looks really realistic like it does on a shiny day as well as the sand and just the way light is reflected off the surface in general. But I do agree that the effects of HDR was exaggerated for LC but its a tech demo. I expect the HDR in Aftermath to parallel with realism more. HDR adds to the evolution of having more photo realistic graphics.

GOD I HATE STEAM...it sits there...downloads for a bit...then it just sits there UPDATING: 90% and it doesn't show it downloading anything, so god knows when I'll get this.

I knew it should have been coming out soon...almost was gonna check today but figured, MEH it won't be out...low and behold

MEH....I don't think it was that great...it was WAY the hell too short considering how freakin long it took em to get it out..your eyes adjusting to the light is the most prominate thing, and of course the shineyness of the revolver, but it wasn't enough to impress me because I'm annoyed that it took this long for about 5 minutes of enjoyment

More than anything, this was a program to test the limits of today's systems, since few other games come close to doing it in the way The Lost Coast did. I don't think Aftermath will be this taxing because after all, it is going to have to be optimized so everybody can play it. The Lost Coast was made only for people with high-end graphics cards.

it didn't seem that taxing to me...especially the way the guy that was there at *4 back in march was describing it 'HIGH END MACHINES ONLY' psht..

I played it at 1024x768 4xAA, 4xAF completely high details and it was completely smooth...looked better than 1280x1024 at 2xAA/4xAF but 1280 taxed the system more...I've got my 6800GT overclocked pretty good though and my RAM is running at 250MHz so that helps, buuut meh, the way they were making out to be I thought I'd be lucky to run it at 1024x768 with no AA at all which wasn't the case.

It is really optimized though compared to FEAR which REALLY taxes the hell out of your system

Yeah, I could play it at 1024x768 and not have problems.....

Nubius, what kind of LCD do you have? You are the only person who I've ever heard claim that 1024x768 looked better on an LCD than the native resolution of 1280x1024.

Nubius, what kind of LCD do you have? You are the only person who I've ever heard claim that 1024x768 looked better on an LCD than the native resolution of 1280x1024.
it's just some crappy generic HP my mom got with her laptop...the numbers out of the corner of the screen are:

HP Pavilion f1703

I believe it has like 25ms response time and crap which by LCD standards is crappy...it's a 17"....I have it at 1280x1024 on the desktop, because if it's at 1024x768 within windows then everything looks to fuzzy and crappy...but during games 1024 looks fine, and right now, like I said 1024x768 with 4xAA/4xAF looked and played smoother than 1280x1024 with 2xAA/4xAF

its awesome!

my 6600GT ran it at maximum.. minus AA of course @ 1024..
Every now and then when entering a big area id get a few chunks but otherwise the fps was fine.. played quake 4 today as well.. **** that game is great, i think i might be getting back into the gaming scene, just before my exams!! woe..

beedubaya said:
I do agree with the HDR being way overdone in this. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with HDR....unlike shadows and textures, etc...it doesn't really add to the realism and gaming effect. Yeah, it looks pretty, but a lot of the time it doesn't make since because it is so unrealistic.

I totally agree with you beedubya. Now that they've real ironed out the HDR effect, then need to tone it down a bit. The lighting changes way... too.... much... If lighting and my eyes adjusted that much in real life, I be sick to my stomach.

Hopefully they can workout the kinks.

At the end of the lost coast, the guy from value gives his email address for comments. Everyone should use that opportunity to comment.
I think that DEMO was cool from a technology standpoint. It also puts the end-user up close and personally with the devs. I hope more devs. use this type of DEMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom