Help a noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

classicill

Beta member
Ok, total techno-idiot here.

Just bought a new laptop from Dell because I need one for work, and I think I got the best deal I could for my budget buck.

It's an Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Duoprocessor T2300 (2MB/1.66GHz/667MHz) with...

15.4 Inch TrueLife Wide-screenWXGA

512MB, DDR2, 533MHz 1 Dimm

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM

and...

60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505

I got it for under 800 dollars, so I snatched it up. I had heard the duo cores were fast and great for multi-tasking. Now, I'll be honest and admit that I have no idea what this stuff means: DDR2, 533MHz 1 Dimm.

My question is...if I want to get into World of Warcraft or Oblivion while on the road, will this laptop be able to handle it? I know it's not a gaming PC, and I am not an avid PC gamer, but I do like RPG's and usually play text based Mud's..but I am thinking of maybe stepping up.

Am I am stepping up too high for my system?

Integrated graphics can't run anything. World of Warcraft isn't all that taxing and can be turned down low for some lower end systems, but oblivion........no freakin way.

That game will make your system cry. I doubt it'd even run, literally, I bet the game will tell you that you can't run it. You HAVE to have a decent graphics card for that game. Integrated just wont do.

integrated graphics just wont take anything that uses dx9 lighting and stuff, and it wount handle any graphically significant games, i'd be very surprised if wow even installs.

Hm...I had a feeling. I don't know jack about graphics cards. Thanks, though.

Any suggestion on some good games I might want to try out, and can run, however?

as a rule stay away from anything that has 3d graphics and your'll be fine.
One game I really enjoyed playing on my laptop was The longest journey, its probably the best adventure game of all time.
You *might* be able to get Kotor to run but dont hold me to it.

Awesome stuff. I checked out The Longest Journey. It seems right up my alley.

I also like The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth 2. I wonder if my laptop can handle it tho?

I'm also checking out Sid Mier's Pirates.

I'll probably buy 3-4 games to play casually.

Any suggestions are welcome/appreciated.

Thanks.

It wont play sid miers pirate or battle for the middle earth 2.

It will play monkey island 1, 2 and 3 and probably even 4, the first 3 are some of my favorite games of all time.

Can someone explain to me what this means?

32 MB Hardware T&L graphics card (Minimum GeForce1 or a Radeon 7500)

I am assuming this means stay away as far as I am concerned...but when I check out system requirements for games and get to the video card section, I have no clue what it is telling me.

I don't know what I can play and what I can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom