Help? - Buying a Laptop for WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generianonym

Beta member
I'm looking into buying a new laptop for playing games. Specifically, World of Warcraft.

The system I am considering buying is the Addict Z71A Intel Pentium-M Centrino Budget PCI-Express Notebook Configurator. The specs I selected were
Select CPU: Intel Pentium M [740J] 1.7 GHz 2MB L2 533FSB
Select Memory 1: 1GB (512MB x 2) DDR 400 SuperTalent Memory
Select Hard Drive 1: 60GB 7200RPM IDE
Select CD/DVD 1: CDRW/DVD Drive
Select OS: Windows XP Home SP2 w/CD

I haven't bought the system yet, I'm not sure if I can afford it quite yet, anyway. (It's about $1500) What I want to know is, is there anything I need that I may have left out, and have I gone overboard?

Thanks for checking this out, I hope you can help me out

This is all I can find about graphics -
Intel Alviso-915 GM PCI-Express Graphics Chipset, with up to 128MB of shared graphics memory allocated from system memory.

I don't know what that means.

I found this information here

well that's integrated, but i dunno if it's good enogh to play wow..you should ask someone in the hardware section

mabye consider getting an apple, my friend has an apple powerbook (about 2000$) but it works great

just make sure you get an onboard wirless card (im not sure if that motherboard comes with one

I'm not changing over to apple from windows.. not anything against the company, but I've gotten very used to windows. I used to use apple when I was in middle school, and I don't need to go through the hassle of acclamating myself back to that system.

And as for the connection - Included 802.11b/g Wireless Networking
I have a wireless router hooked up in my house. So that should be fine.

I'll look more into this graphics card.

no i completly understnad about the apple, i still use windows, just a suggestion

the wireless card should be fine, and while you want a good graphics card dont let it dominate your chioce when selecting a laptop

(id look at battery life (extremly important), weight, and screen size first then select the brand you like looking at the specs for your final decision) but thats just me

lol no
shared memory is pretty crappy for gaming it takes away from the main memory which will slow down the computer during gaming. i would try to find one with the video card seperate. ull get optimal gaming performance with that. my laptop is running of shared memory which is good enough to do most simple games but itll lag like a mofo with high graphic games unless i put it down to like the minimal settings in which case the graphic card is pointless. but mine is only 512 and ur looking at a 1gig memory so itll have alot more to share off of so im not sure but it still would be better to go with a unshared one and kerpal he wants a laptop for gaming so uhh yea do let the graphic card dominate your choice.

Kerpal said:
no i completly understnad about the apple, i still use windows, just a suggestion

the wireless card should be fine, and while you want a good graphics card dont let it dominate your chioce when selecting a laptop

(id look at battery life (extremly important), weight, and screen size first then select the brand you like looking at the specs for your final decision) but thats just me

Uhhh if the Laptop is for gaming, it would be best to get one with a good graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom