Half Life 2 - Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
your power management. allows stand-by/sleep mode, etc. go into bios, power and disable it there or in DM (I think thats ACPI)... or just set the power section in screen saver to never on turn off montior after....

That might be a fix, but I dont see how this is only happening on Half Life 2 and not other games.

What other games do you play?

Doom 3, Postal 2, Warcraft 3, counter strike condition zero - Other games I play.

I will try disabling APM.

If your monitor is going into stand-by as soon as the G-man starts talking, that's a software issue (as in drivers, bios, etc).

However, since yours is turning off after a certain amount of play, I would suspect heat.

There's also a number (a great number) of other things that could be wrong. For instance, when the G-man is speaking, it's a different video experience than when you step onto the train. One is a scripted scene with a pre-build video playing, the other is the physical world. You may be catching a hitch that way. Also, you could have a corrupt installation, throwing out a bad value to the computer when you get "released" into city-17, which can crach who knows how many things.

Another thing you can try (if possible) is another monitor. I know on some games you can sometimes run into problems with the monitor's capabilities and settings.

If worst comes to worst, you can try contacting (email or phone) your video card maker.

Tried a different monitor still the same. It normally turns off roughly 5-30 seconds after the actual game starts, ie after the G-man video. I will run the PC with the case off to see if its heat, but i doubt it is, as the room I use my PC in is freezing all the time. I am in Scotland!

I am in Scotland!
Saints-be-praised! I'm from Scotland!........(Kinda...on my mother's side...)

Anyway, even a cold room won't solve an overheating GPU (unless you're in a room where your spit freezes before it strikes the screen). One thing you could try is lowering all your video quality settings to absolute lowest, and see if you last a few seconds longer.

I am also having this same problem:(

The first 2 times it did it I was just adjusting the graphics in the menu, but again tonight I was roaming the first level for about 10 minutes and as I tried to pick up a bicycle and throw it at a window, the monitor turned off........

When this happens the monitor turns off and then the HD activity picks up for like 5 seconds and then nothing.....the computer is on, but not doing anything?:confused: Only way to reboot it is unplug it:rolleyes:

I have a 9800 Pro obviously and everything maxed out:confused:

I play alot of other games perfectly fine, F1 Challenge, Far Cry, CS:S and many others except DOOM3:p

My first thought was heat aswell, but I play F1C for hours on end sometimes and I live in humid bloody Florida and it has always run flawless?:confused:

Hmm. Sounds like some program (possibly spyware) running in the background is trying to refresh your desktop, and HL2 doesn't switch between desktop and game gracefully. When you switch from game to desktop, it gets hung.

Run some scans and see if anything turns up. Also, check your drivers and your card's website for any fixes they might have posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom