Half-Life 2 Lost Coast tommorow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, yer the one who seems to think it's stupid for Valve to be taking so long. If you think you can do it faster, go ahead.

I'm sure Valve is working as fast as they can.
uhh since when is saying something is taking too long to come out suddenly come to the conclusion "oh well you make it then" thats the most ridiculous crap ever.....beyond that, they shouldn't say "It'll be out in a couple weeks" way the hell back in march if they know damn well it won't be out...just like when the code was stolen they were claiming it was near done, yet the guy who stole it revealed that the way the code was then, it was no where near being released...and oh what a surprise they used that and said "oh no him stealing it has pushed it back"

So yeah....saying something will come out and months later it's still not out IS stupid...it's not MY job to tell the people when it'll come out or make the game...it IS my job however being an end user to voice my opinion on their current progress and the fact it's ridiculous for this wait.

Thresh said:
Second, the strider skewering people wasn't scripted... .it does that in game too no matter where the NPC's are. It's not that complicated to code it anyway.... when an NPC's gets close... stab it with it's leg and make it go through.... when that happens shake the mo fo off. Jus tthink about it.
True, it can happen in the game if a strider steps on you, but in that video, it was scripted. A seperate entity sequence was created for both aesthetics and timing to accomodate some ideas Steve Bond and Dario Casali had for the final demo.

Thresh said:
EDIT: By the way, Something Sexy, do you work for Geek Squad? If you do can you tell me if they make you work out on the Best Buy floor first too show how well you do? I was just hired and was told that... but I hate sales but can do a good job if I want, just don't want to be out on it too long.
Not to butt-in, but dude...it's BestBuy...Just wander around and tell people the $399 machines on the shelves will blow away D3 or that the CD-RW 52x drives in the corner are "the fastest drivers ever made!" You'll blend in quick.

Originally posted by Nubius
uhh since when is saying something is taking too long to come out suddenly come to the conclusion "oh well you make it then" thats the most ridiculous crap ever.....beyond that, they shouldn't say "It'll be out in a couple weeks" way the hell back in march if they know damn well it won't be out...
Pthsh. Since when are they required to give you anything? If they said "it's coming out sometime here" and it didn't, oh well. Plans change. They didn't make a pact in blood or anything. It's marketing. They're not beholden to anyone. If they decided not to release at all, that's their own perogative. It'd be a bad move money-wise, but there's no reason why Valve can't send everyone a picture of the developer's rear ends and leave it at that.

And besides...the press releases are being handled by marketing, and the work is obviously being handled by development. Since when, in any company, are the two on the same page? It's development's responsibility to do the work on the game and make sure it works and all the rest. It's marketing's responsibility to get the word out and make promises that they know full well they have no ability to control.

The whole point of the matter is that Valve is out to make money. I don't think they'd do very well if they weren't trying to make money. So, it is in their interest to get the game out as soon as possible. That being said, I'm certain the devs are doing the best they can. If anyone thinks they're not working hard enough, go knock on the door and have a look.

Originally posted by Nubius
just like when the code was stolen they were claiming it was near done, yet the guy who stole it revealed that the way the code was then, it was no where near being released...and oh what a surprise they used that and said "oh no him stealing it has pushed it back"
Well, first off, the lowlife stole a discarded build. It wasn't their production run. Second, it doesn't matter what company it is or what they're working on, when something like this happens, it is going to cause major delays. Thirdly, yes, the stealing of the code caused a problem because of the potential for the code to be used to hack and cheat the game, which Valve wanted to minimize. This caused them to have to go back and re-assess most of the code to see what potential problems could exist from this. Lastly, no one but an idiot would think that any gaming company would have a fully-functioning edition of a new game in anything but the final weeks before release (even days). It just doesn't work like that.

Well I'd like to reply a couple paragraphs and ***** the rest of you but I don't have time.

So you're all morons, and you're all wrong... It basically has the same effect don't you think?

ShoobieRat said:

it's BestBuy...Just wander around and tell people the $399 machines on the shelves will blow away D3 or that the CD-RW 52x drives in the corner are "the fastest drivers ever made!" You'll blend in quick.

lol..........so sad, but so true.

Shoobie, it does become my problem...I specifically upgraded back after all these press releases regarding HDR because I was intending the play the stuff on really good settings

Now I had a 6800GT sitting around playing games that my 9800Pro could handle fine, and now I don't believe that my system will be able to handle this stuff as well as I hoped because they are now making the engine more and more complex

So yeah, I basically blew close to two grand on something I can't even use...when they say a few weeks, I expect a few weeks, I don't know how the hell you don't have a problem with that but maybe you are just made of money like some of the little "I MUST UPGRADE MY FX-55 to FX-57" kids that run around here oh so often

It's my right as a consumer of the game to complain...if you don't like something, you don't just sit back and say "OHHH VALVE ALL YOUR STUFF IS 110% GOLD"...that isn't how progress works

gaara said:

So yeah, I basically blew close to two grand on something I can't even use...

um........you do know that there are other pc games out there, don't you?

i wouldn't call it a waste, man......you can always play solitaire.

I pretty much play counterstrike and BF2, I bought the 6800GT for stuff like Fear and stalker and aftermath specifically for this HDR...same reason I purchased my 9800Pro way back, I wanted to be able to play HL2...of course Valve delayed that as well

gaara said:
Now I had a 6800GT sitting around playing games that my 9800Pro could handle fine, and now I don't believe that my system will be able to handle this stuff as well as I hoped because they are now making the engine more and more complex
Hey, advancements in gaming tech and hardware are just a fact of life. What're they supposed to do? Not work to make better stuff?

gaara said:
So yeah, I basically blew close to two grand on something I can't even use...when they say a few weeks, I expect a few weeks,
So before a game even came out and had a chance to be fully tested (or even before the release cut was tested by reviewing parties) you threw 2-grand out with the hopes that things would work? Pshh. Maybe you should spend your money more carefully.

And really, everyone was talking about how beefy things were going to be in the HL2/D3 world when they came out. Everyone who bought a new high-end graphics card (like a 6800GT) did just fine. And continues to do just fine.

gaara said:
I don't know how the hell you don't have a problem with that but maybe you are just made of money like some of the little "I MUST UPGRADE MY FX-55 to FX-57" kids that run around here oh so often
...Because those people...are idiots. In the first place, it's just stupid to pay $700-900 for a chip that isn't even fully supported yet (or better still, to pay that kind of money for a chip that'll just drop in price anyway). Second, nowhere, in any press release or review, did it say you had to buy the world's fastest chip. You jumped the gun and threw tons of money towards something, and you want everyone else to pay for your mistake? Why?

If the game had come out when they said, the stuff you had bought would have worked. Though the game came out much later, the SAME stuff you bought, should still be working. What're you complaining that you bought the stuff back then and aren't going to get to buy it now instead? So the 6800GT plays the game, and you've already got it. What are you complaining about?

And to be honest, if you threw 2-grand at a machine to make it the best box out there, then it should still be. I paid $1,100 for the rig in my sig months before HL2 came out, and it does perfectly fine. You spent too much money, and it's no fault of Valve's. You show me a press release from Valve where they say you "MUST have a $800 FX-57 chip," and I'll forgive you.

gaara said:
It's my right as a consumer of the game to complain...if you don't like something, you don't just sit back and say "OHHH VALVE ALL YOUR STUFF IS 110% GOLD"...that isn't how progress works
Right, yeah...and my whole argument is that you guys are complaining about something that was just the way it was. I guarantee you the Valve dev staff didn't just go on vacation for 3 months to delay the game. But regardless, the game's out, it's doing well, your machine works, oh well. Maybe next time you'll wait for news from people who've actually touched the source of the problem, first.

And no, I don't think Valve is perfect. They've got their problems like everyone else does.

BTW, there's a company in Ohio that says they'll have a flying car on the market by 2010. I'm gonna go build a landing pad and construct a fuel tower by my house, and wait for it to happen as said.

ShoobieRat said:
Not to butt-in, but dude...it's BestBuy...Just wander around and tell people the $399 machines on the shelves will blow away D3 or that the CD-RW 52x drives in the corner are "the fastest drivers ever made!" You'll blend in quick.

Selling isn't much of the problem as the environment. I hate selling stuff because places like these encourage you to be pushy. I don't want to be pushy, but actually provide people with help, like my opinion, technical information, and what options they have. Unfortunatley, these retail stores want you to be that way and it's just annoying, which is the exact reason why I don't want to be on the floor anymore.

Thresh said:
Selling isn't much of the problem as the environment. I hate selling stuff because places like these encourage you to be pushy. I don't want to be pushy, but actually provide people with help, like my opinion, technical information, and what options they have. Unfortunatley, these retail stores want you to be that way and it's just annoying, which is the exact reason why I don't want to be on the floor anymore.
I never worked for a BestBuy or any of that when I was younger, but when I was looking for a job then, I didn't even consider BestBuy (or whatever) because I couldn't stand the idea of selling someone a lie.

If a guy came in looking for a computer or graphics card for his 6-yr-old son, I couldn't be like some people in those stores who would try to spin a bunch of incorrect jargin on him to get him to buy a 6800GT or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom