GTA4 and its CPU intensive needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow this is probably my longest created thread ever...

anyways I'm still at a standstill when making the GTA4 decision, do I:

1. Just play it on my PS3 which I already have ( it was my brothers but he's done with it ) and not have to worry about any of the PC problems

2. Buy it for the PC and hope I don't experience all the problems people have been experiencing.

My system can probably run the PC version "slightly" better then the game runs on the console but I don't know...I guess its also a matter of mouse/keyboard vs controller as well, and the controller has a definite advantage when it comes to driving but not shooting. Hmmm...oh and the 2 PC programs required to run in the background doesn't help the PCs case either :p I like the bigger PC multiplayer but some reviews have stated its hard finding a game that even gets to that size, and theres obviously less PC players playing online compared to console players. Ah decisions decisions...

I think if you have it on console, then thats what you should play it on
The pc version hasn't been done well tbh, and if you've already done missions, starting again on a pc would probably just be boring...

Is it worth it when you already have it...?

I think if you have it on console, then thats what you should play it on
The pc version hasn't been done well tbh, and if you've already done missions, starting again on a pc would probably just be boring...

Is it worth it when you already have it...?

you make a very good point that my mind keeps trying to tell me, but my heart flocks to the PC :( Oh btw and I haven't played the game yet on console. Ah well I guess you made my decision...does anyone have any counter arguments?

you make a very good point that my mind keeps trying to tell me, but my heart flocks to the PC :( Oh btw and I haven't played the game yet on console. Ah well I guess you made my decision...does anyone have any counter arguments?

Uh.....I don't.......but my son says....."don't be a console tard....play it on the pc" :D

Just kiddin :)

Im at GTX 280 clocks.

I do have the 181 series drivers, which supposedly make sli work.

SLI should work, if not, it's still Rockstar's fault for not releasing yet a performance patch. I ran GTA4 better on my 1080p HDTV then my Samsung 216BW, 1680x1050. Here is my benchmarks to prove it:

benchmark on my monitor:

Statistics
Average FPS: 36.77
Duration: 37.72 sec
CPU Usage: 61%
System memory usage: 70%
Video memory usage: 71%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 1
Detail Distance: 1

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
AMD Processor model unknown

File ID: benchmark.cli

benchmark on my 1080p HDTV:

Statistics
Average FPS: 40.66
Duration: 37.80 sec
CPU Usage: 54%
System memory usage: 73%
Video memory usage: 81%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 1
Detail Distance: 1

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Digital Output Device (HDMI) (2- High Definition Audio Device)
AMD Processor model unknown

File ID: benchmark.cli

this must be because i used dual link. On my monitor i used single link. If i buy myself a dual link DVI-D, will get a noticable improvement? Because sure as **** got a one in higher resolution. I have my view and detail distance lowest because when i increase them ever so slowly, i get lower fps, so that's why.

oh n rican, ill beat ur 3DMark06 score, once the R800 comes along. I'm waiting for that. My current score is 16k.

LoL CPU games are kind of not my think. I might try GTA4 out but i dont think im gonna be able to for a while because my local PC-Rental store is outa copies which i dont know why because...well hello XBOX360?

SLI should work, if not, it's still Rockstar's fault for not releasing yet a performance patch. I ran GTA4 better on my 1080p HDTV then my Samsung 216BW, 1680x1050. Here is my benchmarks to prove it:

benchmark on my monitor:

benchmark on my 1080p HDTV:

this must be because i used dual link. On my monitor i used single link. If i buy myself a dual link DVI-D, will get a noticable improvement? Because sure as **** got a one in higher resolution. I have my view and detail distance lowest because when i increase them ever so slowly, i get lower fps, so that's why.

oh n rican, ill beat ur 3DMark06 score, once the R800 comes along. I'm waiting for that. My current score is 16k.

You see the boost because the gpu is better able to utilize its memory. The video card doesn't know the difference between a single or dual link dvi connector as far as rendering is considered. The resolution matters, but not the interface.

You see the boost because the gpu is better able to utilize its memory. The video card doesn't know the difference between a single or dual link dvi connector as far as rendering is considered. The resolution matters, but not the interface.

utilize in higher resolution? Usual games get lower fps as the resolution goes up not gain. I will still get me a dual-link DVI-D soon. I think my graphics card can benefit from it because of the bigger bandwidth matching the HDMI one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom