GTA 4 and Modern Warfare 2 Sound issues- Windows 7: Wierd center speaker sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookie777

Beta member
GTA 4 and Modern Warfare 2 Sound issues- Windows 7: Wierd Center Speaker sound

Hi all,
My first post but desperate! Normally solve all my own pc problems but this one takes the cake. I have recently upgraded to Win 7 and all my drivers updated etc for my creative x-fi extreme music sound card. Also before i explain my problem please note all my other games and movies play 5.1 surround sound correctly. Only these 2 games give issues and i am sure GTA 4 sound worked properly on my previous vista installed (MW2 is a new installation so got nothing to compare it to).
My issues are with the centre speaker. In GTA 4 it is completely silent (tested by putting my ear right to it) except for when Nico talks to other characters and on his cellphone. That is very strange... i am sure that GTA4 had full 5.1 sound in vista with ambient sounds and sound effects like shooting etc. coming out of front speaker . All other speakers work perfectly with sounds coming from the rear and side etc but front speaker seems to be not included.

Also COD:MW2 ... seems to be similar except it has ambient effects BUT NO talking/shooting/other sound effects whatsoever coming out of it. The only talking that comes out of it seems to be radio chatter when your fellow comrades call you on the radio.

As said my 5.1 is working properly as i have tested each speaker in control panel and each speaker plays the tone correctly and also other games like resident evil 5 and 5.1 movies all work properly

Please can someone with windows 7 please play GTA4 and MW2 and stick their ear to the speaker and tell me if they have the same wierd not true 5.1 sound coming out of it?

My specs are:
Intel quad core 3ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
gtx 280
creative x-fi extreme music
velociraptor 150gb hdd
windows 7 64 BIT

HELP PLEASE SOMEONE>>>> VERY FRUSTRATED

Hi,
...My issues are with the centre speaker. In GTA 4 it is completely silent (tested by putting my ear right to it) except for when Nico talks to other characters and on his cellphone...

That is very strange... i am sure that GTA4 had full 5.1 sound in vista with ambient sounds and sound effects like shooting etc. coming out of front speaker. All other speakers work perfectly with sounds coming from the rear and side etc but front speaker seems to be not included...

...Please can someone with windows 7 please play GTA4 and MW2 and stick their ear to the speaker and tell me if they have the same wierd not true 5.1 sound coming out of it?...

Just to clarify, in all instances where you mention 'speaker', which one are you referring to? Are you referring only to the centre speaker? The front speakers in a 6 channel setup are regarded as the front-right and front-left speakers. The centre speaker is the one between the two front speakers.

The output of the audio through your speakers in these games seems normal to me. Remember that the centre speaker in movies with multichannel audio (for example) is usually mostly or exclusively used for dialogue output, while the front and rear speakers are used for music and sound effects. This may simply be down to the way GTA4 and MW2 utilise surround sound speakers, which isn't particularly abnormal given how the centre channel is usually used for dialogue.

That is how my 6.1 is too. The center only is for dialogue. I know there is a setting in GTA4 to reduce audio when there is dialogue

yep, i think that's supposed be like that in GTA IV, i have a 5.1 setup and a Xtreme music too. i have not played MW2.

hi,
yes sorry... all instances i mean . i mean the center speaker is the only speaker with issues. All the spacialization sounds great with the other 4 speakers (FL, FR , RR and RL) but it just sounds wierd when you are talking to someone in the game and their voice only sounds from the FL and FR creating a virtual center speaker. Why dont they just use the centre speaker? Also GTA doesnt use any sound out of the speaker ... only when you are talking and not other characters !

So just to confirm for those who have played GTA 4 that there is only dialogue and NO ambience sounds like crowds, cars hooting etc ,?

also MW2 sounds crap with gun shots not coming out of centre speaker when other FPS's do ...and also no dialogue comes out of the center speaker ... only incoming communications over radio... no normal dialogue comes out!

and i have not played MW2, but in COD4 the center speaker was used for dialogue and sounds that were directly in front of you.

hi,
yes sorry... all instances i mean . i mean the center speaker is the only speaker with issues. All the spacialization sounds great with the other 4 speakers (FL, FR , RR and RL) but it just sounds wierd when you are talking to someone in the game and their voice only sounds from the FL and FR creating a virtual center speaker. Why dont they just use the centre speaker? Also GTA doesnt use any sound out of the speaker ... only when you are talking and not other characters !

So just to confirm for those who have played GTA 4 that there is only dialogue and NO ambience sounds like crowds, cars hooting etc ,?

as far as i can remember, yes. i dont think i ever heard anything other than dialogue from the center speaker in GTA IV

and i have not played MW2, but in COD4 the center speaker was used for dialogue and sounds that were directly in front of you.

as far as i can remember, yes. i dont think i ever heard anything other than dialogue from the center speaker in GTA IV

Ok...will have to find my old copy of COD4 and see if the same thing happens...

Has anybody here played MW2 and can confirm that no sounds come out of the center speaker except for occasional communications from other soldiers over the radio?

Everything you are stating sounds completely normal. If the Front left & right are not loud enough (outside of dialog) maybe you need to configure this on your receiver?

I signed up just to let you know that you are not alone in your sound issue with Cod Mw2 5.1 center speaker not working. I too recently went from Vista to windows 7. Have you reinstalled the original COD4 yet? If so does your center speaker work? I sold my game long ago so I can't test it, I know it worked in vista.

I do not have a creative sound card. I am using onboard 5.1 surround built into my mobo, dont know the name of the maker off the top of my head, I am typing to you on another computer so I can't check it atm either. But its the same onboard audio I used with COD4 that sounded so beautiful in the past, the only difference is the game and the operating system.

I too have varified that all speakers work, settings are correct in windows 7 system options and the ingame options. I will double check to see I have the latest drivers when I get the time.

You are not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom