Graphics Issue With Starcraft 2 - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaintPall

Baseband Member
So I bought starcraft two today, installed it, but it runs really slow. I have a HP Pavillion Laptop 2.10 GHZ Dual Core with Geforce 7150M graphics card and 4gb of ram. It says on the box that the games minimum requirements are 2.6ghz with a geforce 6600 card, the recommended system is a Geforce 8600M so I figure my computer is right in between so it shouldn't be super slow like it is and therefor the game should at least be playable, which, as it stands right now, it is not, and I was wondering since my computer is a dual core isn't it technically 4.20 GHZ instead of 2.10? If so, how do I get the game to recognize the additional 2.10 GHZ? Also, when I first opened the game and played it it came up with the message "could not recognize video card" and is running super slow, so I turned down all the game settings to low but it didnt do much good, still unplayably slow. A friend said that the game may be using the motherboard video card instead of the Geforce one since it states that it isn't recognizing the video card and thus the reason its going so slow. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to make the game run faster? Or should I just return the game? Also, I already tried updating my graphics card drivers on Nvidia website, it said for my laptop I have to update the drivers through HP so I'm not sure what to do about that yet. Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Get the drivers from hp's site or email them for help. Your motherboard doesn't have onboard video just the 7150. It should run fine though have you checked to see if its utilizing both cores? Have you reinstalled?

Uhh, dude, sorry, but your processor can't handle the game, dual core doesn't mean twice the speed. Here is some information from the blizzard forum on the game.
StarCraft II system requirements:

Required (PC):

* Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c

* 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor

* 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better

* 12 GB available HD space

* 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)

* DVD-ROM drive

* Broadband Internet connection

* 1024X720 minimum display resolution

Recommended PC System Requirements:

* Windows Vista®/Windows® 7

* Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor

* 2 GB RAM

* 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT/GTS or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

Processors

These are more of generalizations.

* Athlon processors do not meet the system requirements. They're the old Thunderbird models and go up to 1.2 GHz.

* Athlon XP processors with a rating of 2200+ and above will meet it.

* Athlon 64 processors tend to meet it. The very low-end Athlon 64 models (energy efficient models ending in e) may not. Check your clock speeds. Anything at or higher than 2.2GHz is a safe bet.

* For Sempron types, you'll want a higher clock speed to make up for it lacking in other areas. Sempron processors exists across Socket 478-AM2 so you may want to see what type you have using CPU-Z. CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

* First generation AMD Phenom processors (ending in 00) will work but you need to be aware of the TLB fix. It has a pretty substantial performance drop so you might see choppiness. We have a pretty large writeup on the World of Warcraft forum with a bit more information about it. World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> _____System Performance Guide

* Phenom processors ending in 50 do not have this problem. All but the slowest models will meet the system requirements

* Athlon II and Phenom II should all be faster than the minimum requirements.

* Pentium III processors do not meet the requirements

* Pentium IV/D processors at 2.6GHz and above meet it.

* Intel Core 2 around 1.8GHz is a rough area but should be able to play it at low settings. 2.4GHz is the recommended number.

* Intel Celeron processors fall under a lot of different families of chips and sockets. There are those based off of the Pentium 4 of different types and those based off of Core 2. You may want to check what type you have using CPU-Z CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

* Intel i3/i5/i7 exceed the minimum requirements.

Video card

We require a GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9800 video card in terms of performance. Keep in mind that there are higher-numbered video cards that fall under what we need. Probably the best chart you can look at is available on Tom's Hardware: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2010

The GeForce 6600 and Radeon 9800 are towards the lower half of the chart. If your video card is under it, that's not a good thing. If your video card is above it, that's good.

Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300

ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600

All Intel GMA adapters minus the one in the i3/i5 chips. Those tend to run better but we don't know how much.

Benchmarks

List of benchmarks done by third party sites.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty GPU & CPU Performance - TechSpot

7150M is probably worse than the 6600GT as well. And yeah, you can't return pc games. All they will do is give you a new copy of the game. You are screwed out of your money.

Yea, SC2 is the one game, that you must contact blizzard about due to the cdkey only being able to be activated once, per client.

I don't know of a single store that will accept a copy of the game due to that method of DRM.

Also,
Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300

Meaning, the 7150 is not able to handle the game properly, ****, the 8600 can barely handle the game. If I remember right, the 7150, is exactly like the 6150, but had a few newer features from the 7xxx line that the 6xxx line didn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom