Giving Skyrim a chance

Thought it was me, but everyone says it's a grea game and the story is excellent so I was like until gta v is ported over I will give this a whirl. i beat deadpool in like 3 days lol, like a couple hrs a day. Also ff7 remake recently

I love Skyrim, but I will agree it may not be for everyone as Nukem stated. I've been playing since Morrowind and was hooked on the lore and books which are abundant.

Normally when I create a character, I pick out my main 3 skills and a few minor skills and roleplay a character. (Ex: Huntsman whom is athletic, good at marskmanship/bow, is able to sneak up on it's prey (like tracking), is decent with a small blade (Dagger, used mostly to gut deer/prey), Keeps his arrow tips and weapons in top condition (black smith), is a silver-tongued devil.

That is normally my preferred and primary character set-up. The last favorite I made was trying to resemble an anime as best as I could: Claymore. Blond hair, silver eyes, wears plate mail, carries around a 2 handed weapon as their only defense and weapon of attack.
Has regenerating abilities (so uses healing) and since they have a darker side which they have to suppress... I make turn them into a vampire which helps with getting the right skin tone :D

You have to grind out some of the tedious stuff like blacksmithing early on to really enjoy the game later. You'll eventually get to the point where you can do quests without bothering with any of the extraneous stuff. I can't even remember the last time I had to change equipment, or level up to get past something.

TL;DR Version:

Skyrim is what you make it out to be. There's no right or wrong way to play it, so have fun with it. Try making several characters and specialize them in certain ways, such as a warrior, a mage, an archer, a stealth/assassin, etc, as opposed to a generic jack of all trades.

Long Version:

Skyrim is what you make it. It has its own basic story, but it's filled with deep lore and the ability to craft your own stories as you play. This can be from random questing, to traveling, to pillaging, to main and/or side mission, guilds, or just random interaction with NPC's or the environment.

My suggestion is to not be a jack of all trades. In other words, don't be the savior of Skyrim, the leader of the Companions, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood all at once. It not only diminishes the gameplay, it weakens the story. The Companions are like justice mercenaries, they take jobs that rid places of evil, danger, etc. The Dark Brotherhood are mercs as well, but are assassins that will eliminate whomever is on their contract, regardless of moral standing. Those two ideals right there clash with one another as one group only does good deeds while the other will kill anyone or anything for some extra coin.

Likewise, the same applies when you factor in things like the mages at the College of Winterhold and the Thieves Guild. One is a group of students practicing to be experts in casting magic spells while the other lurks in the shadows pickpocketing people. If you were to take on all four of the above roles with the same character, there isn't going to be a decent story because your character's actions are going to contradict one another.

As for gameplay, it diminishes because you are investing in all skills rather than specializing in a few. What I mean by this is that if you try and "do everything", you will miss out because there's only enough XP and skill sets to go around. If you just focus on being a mage, then you can learn some really cool spells and have some really valuable perks by sticking with that skill tree, rather than investing a few into that, a few into sword & shield, a few into archery, a few into sneaking, etc.

Likewise, if you want to specialize as an assassin, invest solely in things such as light armor, one-handed combat, archery, and sneaking. Then, become the leader of the Dark Brotherhood and craft your own stories by trying to do things such as taking out high ranking members of other factions.

I guess to sum it all up, Skyrim is what you make it out to be. No one really plays it for its "story" because it's very limited and the actual main storyline revolving around the Dragonborn is fairly short. People play it because of the awesome world that you are able to traverse, for the cool characters that you can invest in, for the stories you yourself can create during your own unique play. The best thing about TES games is there is no right or wrong way to play it.

Last edited:
Great feedback xlx Edge xlx, I am at fault for not reading up on that. I just went straight in assuming the story had to be what I had to do and that was that. So it's great for freeplay as well right?

What I mean by this is that if you try and "do everything", you will miss out because there's only enough XP and skill sets to go around. If you just focus on being a mage, then you can learn some really cool spells and have some really valuable perks by sticking with that skill tree, rather than investing a few into that, a few into sword & shield, a few into archery, a few into sneaking, etc.

By skill sets to go around, do you mean there isn't much to do after you reach the cap or there is only enough EXP to get a certain number of skill points and that's it?

Cause you can make them all go to 100 and fill them all up with skill points if you so wish, the max level was raised with what I believe is no max cap. Another forum had a member post his current max level was at 178 back in May.

Great feedback xlx Edge xlx, I am at fault for not reading up on that. I just went straight in assuming the story had to be what I had to do and that was that. So it's great for freeplay as well right?

It's excellent for free play. I have a few characters of different races that I made to specialize in different categories. My Companions leader is a tough, rugged Nord that looks like he could palm your head like a basketball and eat it for breakfast.

I also have an elf that specializes in some awesome destruction spells, and an Assassin that is now the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. With that character, I've made up my own storylines by trying to eliminate top leaders in different factions. In other words, I would think up my own contracts and play them out, such as being a sleeper agent in something like the Civil War or the Companions just to get close to the leader and then take them out to "complete" my contract, then try and escape back to the Dark Brotherhood's hideout without being detected and/or being killed. There's not necessarily a specific quest for that, it's just a fun little quest that I made up on my own as a challenge for that specific character.

I found when you play your own way and come up with all sorts of different stories and ways to play, it's so much more fun and immersing rather than trying to be this one "super person" that is the leader of every faction and does everything in the game. I still experience everything the game has to offer, but I do it my own way and in a way that makes sense lore-wise. A dark/high elf or a Brenton fits in better as a mage in the College of Winterhold as opposed to a tough looking Nord who looks like he wrestles grizzly bears as a hobby, so I make differecnt characters to experience different aspects of the game.

By skill sets to go around, do you mean there isn't much to do after you reach the cap or there is only enough EXP to get a certain number of skill points and that's it?

Cause you can make them all go to 100 and fill them all up with skill points if you so wish, the max level was raised with what I believe is no max cap. Another forum had a member post his current max level was at 178 back in May.

I probably should have worded that a bit differently. I guess what I meant was more along the lines of being limited in what you can do when you start certain quest lines. In other words, let's use the Dark Brotherhood as an example, meaning I want to be a pure assassin that specializes in stealth, deadly aim, good conversation skills, and light armor. If I start leveling up a bunch of magic skills because I want to be a badass mage as well, by the time I start the DB quest line I'm already a little bit behind the 8 ball because I've yet to invest in sneak, persuasion, archery (especially for the zoom), etc.

Whereas, if I would have limited myself to only focusing on those skill from the start, I would have some of those abilities by the time I start the DB quest line, and will be able to enjoy it more as I would feel like an actual assassin entering the ranks as opposed to some random rookie that decides he wants to start contract killing. By the time I go after my first target, I'll have some decent sneaking ability, I'll be able to use a bow properly, I can wear some better light armor and be quieter, etc, as opposed to just being a newbie that learns on the go.

I don't know that helps at all or makes any sense or not, but the gist of it is basically that by starting early and sticking to certain skill, I can level them up faster and be more useful in the role of a specific character I am making, as opposed to spending time leveling up all different categories and not being as skilled in areas that are more beneficial to certain quest lines or storylines.

Last edited:
aight im at work now all excited, and cant even touch it till like sat night, sucks.

Ill give an update if anyone cares this weekend on how I feel after this

I don't know that helps at all or makes any sense or not, but the gist of it is basically that by starting early and sticking to certain skill, I can level them up faster and be more useful in the role of a specific character I am making, as opposed to spending time leveling up all different categories and not being as skilled in areas that are more beneficial to certain quest lines or storylines.

I get what your saying now, and I agree. Even if it weren't for roleplay or character building reasons but for difficulty as well. If your guy is a warrior but invest in everything but your combat skills for the first 8-10 levels, your going to have an EXTREMELY tough time trying to level up again to put points into combat.

aight im at work now all excited, and cant even touch it till like sat night, sucks.

Ill give an update if anyone cares this weekend on how I feel after this

That be nice ^_^

Back
Top Bottom