Getting new laptop... what would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Savager

Solid State Member
I'm looking to get a new laptop as mine is highly outdated (1.1GHz.... 192MB RAM.....) and there is a backlog of games that I've been wanting to get for a while, (Supreme Commander, C&C 3 and Overlord).

I'm probably not going to play them online, and I'm probably not going to run any particularly spec-heavy programs other than the games. I plan to get Vista with my new laptop.

What sort of price range am I looking at (in £s) ?

What is the point of a laptop? I have had one for 2 years and it has gotten used about 1% of the time compared to my desktop. I would never use one to play games....

What is the point of a laptop? I have had one for 2 years and it has gotten used about 1% of the time compared to my desktop. I would never use one to play games....

First of all, there are plenty of laptops that are good enough to play games. Second, some people don't sit at home all day doing noting staring at a computer. Most people are out and about and need something more mobile. I personally am a college student so I use my laptop every day at class.

I personally am a college student to. That is how I got my laptop, free with scholarship.

I know they can be good enough to play games, but are you playing games in class? Use your old laptop to take notes in class and use your desktop for gaming. Price/Performance ratio on laptops blow.

Or are you one of those people that have to have the $2500 laptop sitting on your desk to impress the ladies?

You're making the assumption that I actually have a desktop.....

I need a new laptop anyway - the repairs needed for this one cost more the laptop itself, I just figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

There is where your problem is. You can spend $1000 and get a really good desktop gaming machine, or you can spend $2500 on a laptop and get a piece of crap that will play games for a little bit, become outdated and very hard to upgrade.

Spend your money on a desktop and use your current laptops to take notes.

I can't recommend any laptops because I wouldn't buy one to save my life. I have a Dell I got for free, it has Word and Powerpoint......thats about all I need on a laptop.

desktop FTW with games

laptop FTW with word, internet and email despite the desktop can do both

You can get my setup for right around $1,000 which would probably beat almost any laptop out there. Unless you just go absolutely crazy with the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom