Getting booted from a multiplayer game by the Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbyfazzle

Solid State Member
My friend and I were playing a multiplayer Company of Heroes for the first time between my computer and his laptop over the LAN network which is wireless. (So we are both new to both LAN multiplayer and Online) :tongue: (I was hosting the game of my desktop)

We were on the same team playing 2 axis teams and all seemed fine until about half an hour in a message came up on my computer saying that effectively his laptop had a lagging grace of 14 seconds behind mine. The exact same message came up on his laptop saying that my system was 14 seconds behind his, then we were booted from each others games and it split in two, so i was playing the game on my own on my computer with his units and buildings and he was plying the same game on his computer by himself with control of my units and buildings. (Effectivly the game split in two and we were both playing a single player match)

So we moved his laptop so that both my desktop and his laptop are both right beside each other and our wireless router and tried again. Still the message came up and we were booted from each others games. So we turned both the settings on both computers down to low and hosted the game on his laptop as it has higher specs than my desktop. Still the message came up and we were booted.

Leading up until the booting there were no signs of lagging, speed or quality problems at all on either computer. Both of our computers are also well capable of running the game on high settings. Does anyone know what the problem was? We thought it might have been the ping as when i hosted it the ping was not great but when it was hosted off the laptop the ping was very good and still the problem persisted. :angry:

Eh, not quite sure what could cause this. As you're saying, your computers are fine with running this game on high performance. You said you were playing through LAN. Are you playing with Ethernet or local IP?

Not to sure sorry. I'm not very good with computers :sweat: We are connected via wireless modem/router, and we have both downloaded the latest patches. Whats the difference between Ethranet and Local IP?

company of heroes always has had a number of lag issues. and ya it has a lag counter that will boot you if it gets to high. Ethernet is a local area networking protocol. 99.9% of the networking done at home now is pretty much done via Ethernet. I'm thinking he meant are you playing via LAN or WAN (Local network only ie your home network or Wide area network ie a server on the internet.) although you already mentioned you were serving on your desktop and playing over your wireless connection, so it's pretty much lan. You could try rebooting the router, sometimes if they're up awhile they start to get funky and *****y and slow down, if you ave the option of playing wired, and not wireless I'd always suggest that as well frankly. what type of router do you have, and what standard is it? 802.11 a/b/g/n/??? did you disable any firewalls/etc, or disconnect from the WAN (Internet) side, to make sure traffic coming through didn't overload your router from soem rouge system somewhere, or some such? was your desktop downloading a million files off some torrent site at the time or anything? all those things could potentially come into play. you could also install some net monitoring software on the desktop or possibly the router to see whats going on and if something specific is causing lag potentially.

I agree that going wired would be the best solution. If not make sure you are both as close to the router as possible to ensure the highest possible wlan speeds.

then we were booted from each others games and it split in two, so i was playing the game on my own on my computer with his units and buildings and he was plying the same game on his computer by himself with control of my units and buildings. (Effectivly the game split in two and we were both playing a single player match)

I had some thing like that happen once with a game of Battle Realms. It was a 3 way game. Not sure what happened with our switch, but for some reason the session got split into 3 seperate games. We only noticed this when we finished building up our forces and started attacking each other, but the other forces where only defending and not really about attacking.

Might be some thing up with your router / network switch?

Cheers guys, sounds like there could be a number of things causing the lagging, so i will go and by a wire to connect the computers and hopefully that works! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom