Gaming in Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
Ok I am running WInXP and have been for many years, I play mainly Steam Day of Defeat, or any warefare type FPS games. Looking to get a new high performance PC built next year to play some COD MW2. Since it will be a new build, it will have WIn7 for sure. I am going to install WIn7 here before christmas on my old PC to check it out. If it gives me trouble, Ill go back to WinXP for now.
So you all that have Win7 , tell me any good /bad changes you see gaming compared to WinXP??

Please tell me there are SOME improvements somehow??

Gaming-wise I wouldn't say there's a big difference. At least not until DX11 games are more frequent. Even then you'd have to have supporting hardware. The main differences in Win7 are in the UI. They've streamlined the taskbar, and Windows Explorer areas. Then of course there's the Aero experience which is quite a bit different than XP. The biggest difference you would see on an older computer is if you put 4 GB or more of memory in and then installed Win7 x64. You would then need a 64-bit supported game like Crysis to utilize that much memory.

Windows 7 is fantastic. I went from XP to vista to XP to windows 7, and I have noticed a drastic speed increase. Games seem to run better along with the whole computer. Plus, 7 looks a lot nicer and they did some improving on how certain things are done, such as networking.

I was having a problem in Warcraft III until I changed it to run in compatibility mode for XP - that pretty much fixed it. I'm also having a problem with counterstrike 1.6 right now, but I'm pretty sure it's related to my video card drivers. Haven't had problems with CS:S, L4D2, Portal, or anything else.

OK, since this is already sort off on topic. I will ask here. I was currently running XP pro 64-bit. I just upgraded my PC to Win 7 pro 64-bit. I have spent the last week setting everything up the way I want it, programs and such, transfering ei favs, and videos/pics. Today I went ahead and installed my first game, NFS shift, I inserted my profil and fired the game up. I was extremely disapointed, it ran like crap!!! everything had a 20 sec delay.
Any suggestions to why my game would be running so crappy? Or should I just go back to XP?

To trotter:
I never thought about trying to run the game in compatibility mod, I'll try that, thanks.

To jtfunkymojo:
my system is fairly decient, my PC stats are in my sig, I should have more then enough resources to run the game.

Do you have all the proper drivers? Like chipset which allow your system to communicate with the hardware correctly? do you have all the updates for not only Windows but the game as well? Is the game listed as Win7 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom