Gaming bust in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
The other day I was walking through the gaming section at Best Buy and noticed how horrible the selection of games are now compared to what was out last year. Last year we had Far Cry, Doom 3, UT2004, HL2/CSS, Jedi Knight Academy, and other noteworthy titles that I still play religiously today. But the new stuff thats on the shelves today...just don't catch my eye the same way as the games I just mentioned did. There is also nothing with spectacular graphics or gameplay out right now.

What do you think has caused this bust in the gaming world? And what games are you looking most forward to?

yeah ive noticed that too, but i bet u that starting 3dr quarter of this year we are gonna start seeing some cool new games, and for this year i was waiting for guildwars but its already out and in 2006 ill be looking forward for hellgate london it looks pretty nice

ohh and ive noticed the same thing at game stop, before they used to have a decent selection of games but last week when i went in i was so shocked to see that they just had like 6 or 7 pc games and they were all like 2 or 3 years old, i was so shocked at this so i preordered a ps2 game and when the guy asked me what was my name i told him that i didnt have one, he was like wtf... and then he asked me again and i wasnt really paying attention and i told him that i didnt have one again, so he told me "sorry but we cant deal with people with no names", and i was like "huh...?' it was really funny my friends were just rolling in the floor laughing at me

Hellgate London looks like its gonna be great (pay attention, Diablo Players).

The end of the year always seems to be stronger than the beginning. The line of games for the end/middle of the year seems great. Battlefield 2, FEAR, Stalker, Earth 2160, Civilization IV, Black and White II( YES!!!), Rome: Total War's expansion, Quake IV.

I personally think that there are no major releases early on because the companies are spending so much time getting ready for E3 that they still have a lot of work to do afterwards.

The only major complaint that I have about a lot of this years releases (well, hopefully they will be released this year) is that a very large number of them seems to be sequels. Few original games.

We got Half-Life Aftermath, FEAR, STALKER, The new Farcry, Battlefield 2, UT2007.We have stuff to look forward too

Cant wait for UT2007 but later this year Stargate SG1: The Allience is due out and looks pritty cool!

beedubaya said:
What do you think has caused this bust in the gaming world? And what games are you looking most forward to?
Last year, we saw a few new game engines released by varios game delevopers.
- UT2k4 (an add on from UT2k3)
- HL2
- DOOM 3

I think devs like Unreal, vALVE and Id Software just want cash in on their years of hard work before they start releasing another engine.
Like Quake 4 looks like they are using Doom III engine.
SWAT 4 is using UT2k4 engine.
And Pariah is starting to use various elements from the upcomming Unreal Engine 3.

I think it's going to be 2006 to 2007 before we see another boom like we did in 2004.

I will comment that I am looking forward to F.E.A.R, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, and Pariah. when they get released locally. However I don't feel the same level of hype and exicitement in the air as I did with UT2k4, Doom III and HL2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom