Games lagging bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think its the motherboard because the first card I have ran fine for a couple days and then it just abruptly crapped out on me. I suppose its time to start another RMA...

Have you double checked to make sure you have the card in the right slot? The board has x16, x8, x4, x8 slots.

the CPU-Z screencaps indicated it was on x16 if I'm reading it right.

Oh, and the card that was working right abruptly crapping out on you and no other card working right since, actually leads me closer to the motherboard being the problem.

the CPU-Z screencaps indicated it was on x16 if I'm reading it right.

Oh, and the card that was working right abruptly crapping out on you and no other card working right since, actually leads me closer to the motherboard being the problem.

Well, after the first card crapped out I used an old Nvidia Quadro card my buddy had lying around and that worked so I don't know if its the motherboard. Is there any way I can check?

I'm not aware of any means of testing a PCI-e slot using only software. A good tech shop should have the equipment to test though.

If another card did work fine after the initial error, maybe it is just the cards. You can trial and error it or you can take it into a shop where they can test it properly. I'd do the later personally, just to save time.

(note: a lot of shops will do the testing for free with the hopes that you will purchase whatever hardware you need from them and possibly installation as well)

This same thing happened to me and is currently still sometimes. Replaced gtx260 and vantage went up but not what it should have. Check your event viewer and see if there are any errors. Just search "Event Viewer".

Is there anything I should specifically be looking for in the event viewer? I installed my buddies 9600 GSO and here are my vantage scores. still nothing spectacular but I dont know if this is to be expected from this video card or its truly my mobo holding me back.

ORB - Result Analyzer

Instead of testing all these cards in your PC maybe you could just try the card in your friends PC?

But before you do that, lets see what your temps are doing while running 3DMark. Your card is an EVGA, right? Do you have EVGA Precision installed? You can download it from EVGA here
EVGA | EVGA Precision | EVGA Precision
or you can download it from here
EVGA Precision 1.8.1 download from Guru3D.com

Once you have it downloaded an installed click on the configuration button (looks like a wrench). Then highlight the GPU Temperature and click the Show in On-Screen Display as shown in this picture.
gpuosd.jpg

Now start 3DMark and your temp will be displayed in the Upper Left corner of your monitor.

I'm expecting the the temp to jump really high right at the start and then the temp and frames will slow down until the temp levels reach a safe limit.

Let us know what you see.

Yep, I already had EVGA Precision installed so I ran the benchmark another time. My GPU idles at about 44C and it immediately shot up to 48 and through the two GPU benchmarks it slowly crawled up to the high 50
's. I don't think thats very hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom