Games lagging bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nato91

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I just built a new rig and all of my games get low FPS (around 15) so theyre unplayable. The games I've tried so far is Batman: ARkham Asylum, Fallout 3, and Cryostasis. Below are my specs so I dont think these games should be lagging with this rig, even on higher setting. Is there anyway I can check if I got a messed up video card because I already had to RMA it once. Or could it perhaps just be that I'm running Windows 7?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/18/2009, 08:43:00
Machine name: DONNYT-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: OEM
System Model: OEM
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 1807MB used, 10461MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_12573842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3688 MB
Dedicated Memory: 877 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: SyncMaster 940BW/199BW/941BW, SyncMaster Magic CX915BW(Digital)
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM0226
Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9107 (English)
Driver Version: 8.16.11.9107
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Something is definitely screwed there. Win7 runs nice and light, so it wouldn't be slowing you down... especially on newer games. With an i7 and a 260 you should be cruising through those.

Downloading both as I type this, I'll have pics up in a bit.

Edit: Here are the results

CPU-Z
CPUzPicz.png

3DMark Vantage
ORB - Result Analyzer

I don't know if I am able to just post that link and you guys can see my results. If not I can take a screenshot and upload it.
Something interesting I noted is it says my OS is Windows 7 Beta when I am actually running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (If it makes any difference it is the signature edition because I got it for hosting a Windows 7 party)

I can see it. Something is deffinately up with your graphics card. Search that site for benchmarks with the same graphics card and you'll notice your graphics score is around 1/6 what other similar builds are.

(that's just from a very brief glance)

Yea I noticed. On the graph where it compared me to similar builds I was in dead last... I suppose I should RMA my video card for a second time then if you guys are certain its the video card?

I'm going to spend a little time actually looking at the details you've posted. I'll get back to you in a few minutes. (side note, my expertise is much more in software than hardware. Any hardware junkies out there, please say something if I mis-speak)

I'm really not seeing any reason for it. Nvidia does have a nasty habit of releasing bad drivers fairly frequently. Try rolling your drivers back to this one NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.62 WHQL

If that doesn't work, I'd go ahead with the RMA.

Edit: actually, you know what I'm not seeing, any info on power. Make sure your power supply is adequate to support everything you're running.

Here's an article about that. Nvidia GeForce GTX 200 Graphics Architecture Review: Born to Win? (page 12) - X-bit labs

I'm fairly certain my power supply should be able to handle it, I posted my build on tech forums before I actually built it and got the all clear. I've got the Corsair 750w TX.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Edit: Also I'm downloading that older driver right now so I'll let you know if it changes anything.

No dice. Still lag just as bad with the older driver installed.

well, unless the hardware guru's have other suggestions, I'd say you have a couple options.

1. My recommendation would be to take it in to a shop. Mostly because it'll save you time.

2. RMA the video card, hope the new one does better

3. If the new one doesn't do better, maybe the problem is the motherboard. without proper testing equipment, it's hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom