Game loading times

Status
Not open for further replies.

nking86

Beta member
I play many PC games such as Battlefield 1942 on my computer. The graphics look great and in-game play is not choppy at all on full settings. However, loading Battlefield 1942 and some other games takes far longer on my PC than many other comperable computers i've seen. What could be causing this small but irritating problem? I have a 1 gig paging file. Here are my system specs.

2.53ghz Pentium 4
256mb RDRAM
128mb nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200G
Windows XP Home Edition

check if DMA (direct memory access) is enabled for your HDD and CD-ROM but it should be (default for XP).
Note that you don't have much RAM and Windows XP is very hungry. This is most likely the cause of your long load time.

The other computers you mention probably have more memory than you do.

buy another stick if you can, if not, you'll probably have to live with it.

i would still recommend upgrading your ram, it is the cheapest and easiest upgrade to a system, i have 1 gig of pc2700, and my pagin file only has to be about 500mb (i have a 100 gig HDD, so i could make it as big as i want, but i dont need it) the more your HDD has to "swap" files with the ram, the longer your loading time will be, but if you can hold pretty much the entire program in ram, there will be little loading times, just something to think about, another thing to think about woul dbe going with DDR instead of RDRAM, as the new dual channel DDR is faster, and cheaper than RDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom