Fun with the Source engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysis isn't crap, it's meta score is only 4 points below HL2's.

Your right, Crysis isn't crap, I don't know why everyone goes to such extremes every time they make a statement, but the multiplayer, although better then Farcry 2, still plays like its in the Beta stage. Also clearly many people think the game isn't optimized well for its resouce use compared to how it looks.

Anyways your criticisms of Half lifes 2 graphics seem so unjustified to me because its a 5 year old game. What did you want Valve to do? Go back and update the graphics to a 5 year old game to make it look better by todays standards? You might as well go on the Quake 3 Live forums and tell everyone Quake 3 sucks because the graphics are so horrible. Why aren't you insulting Half life 1s graphics? those are way worse? The Gold SRC engine looks terrible by todays standards! I hope you get the point I'm trying to make...oh yeah and Wolfenstein 3d graphics are a joke! have you seen that? Ludicrous!

PS: The gamerankings metascore difference is 5 points between the games

Your right, Crysis isn't crap, I don't know why everyone goes to such extremes every time they make a statement, but the multiplayer, although better then Farcry 2, still plays like its in the Beta stage. Also clearly many people think the game isn't optimized well for its resouce use compared to how it looks.

Anyways your criticisms of Half lifes 2 graphics seem so unjustified to me because its a 5 year old game. What did you want Valve to do? Go back and update the graphics to a 5 year old game to make it look better by todays standards? You might as well go on the Quake 3 Live forums and tell everyone Quake 3 sucks because the graphics are so horrible. Why aren't you insulting Half life 1s graphics? those are way worse? The Gold SRC engine looks terrible by todays standards! I hope you get the point I'm trying to make...oh yeah and Wolfenstein 3d graphics are a joke! have you seen that? Ludicrous!

PS: The gamerankings metascore difference is 5 points between the games

Gold SRC is the quake engine.....It's open source now. If I really wanted to i could update the graphics. From what I understand the engine is well written and is conductive to upgrades. I was under the impression that Valve was updating hL2. All of the source updates seemed to be retroactive, or at least they advertised it that way.

IMO the source engine isn't a viable modern engine anymore, it's not even in my top 5.
Cry 2, Dunia, Unreal 3, Xray, CoD4-5 engine.

HL2 is a good game, you could say great. But for me it falls short in re-playability (which is non existent due to the linear gameplay) and in multi-player support. HL2 deathmatch was fun at first but I nor anyone I know has played it in years.

I think that the HL2 and ultimately Valve worshiping are as unwarranted as the Crysis bashing. Can't we all just get along. Crysis doesn't suck and HL2 isn't the best game ever. They are both pretty good for their respective times. Get over it.
EDIT:
NVM I don't have to. Seems the open source project Xreal has already implemented things like HDR, Dynamic Doom3 style lighting, Open GL 3 support and relief mapping. IMO it looks as good as HL2, if not a bit better. Pretty good for a free engine.
xreal-20090404-222937-000.jpg

xreal-20090303-000546-000.jpg

IMO the source engine isn't a viable modern engine anymore, it's not even in my top 5.
Cry 2, Dunia, Unreal 3, Xray, CoD4-5 engine.

HL2 is a good game, you could say great. But for me it falls short in re-playability (which is non existent due to the linear gameplay) and in multi-player support. HL2 deathmatch was fun at first but I nor anyone I know has played it in years.

I think that the HL2 and ultimately Valve worshiping are as unwarranted as the Crysis bashing. Can't we all just get along. Crysis doesn't suck and HL2 isn't the best game ever. They are both pretty good for their respective times. Get over it.

You said in a earlier post that you thought HL2 was a great game, not a good one :p

anyways, our opinions are more then understood. The only thing I like to add that yes HL2 isn't replayable due to its very linear nature, but it didn't just come with HL2 DM ( which you may or not prefer, still killing people with a toliet and grav gun is always fun to me ) but it also came with Counterstrike source. So I think HL2 DM and CS:S adds loads of multiplayer value to the basic HL2 package, they didn't even have to give us CS:S with HL2, they could have easily pulled a console nickel and dime bag and charge us at least 4.99 which I would have paid for gladly.

The hackers and kids turned me off to CS:S. It was good at first, but then the horde of fail took it over.

See, the open ended nature of some newer games is a real clincher for me. You can replay the game so much and get different outcomes. In HL2 you can't do that, and I think the open ended games give you much more of your money's worth.

BTW I started playing through HL2 again after I got the gray thing fixed. It's turning out to be pretty short since I know all of the tricks. Now I'm just going for speed.

Well I understand why Zmatt is very much NOT a valve fan boy. In later threads his arguments were pretty strong seeing as he was usually talking about how the source engine is 5 years old, and how its still being used today.

When developers like Epic Games and id throw out extremely high grade engines for every new title, many of them easier to code than source, its a little weird why valve is still using source.
Gold SRC isn't the id-Tech 3, its based off it, but very much a different engine.

EDIT
However criticizing valve games for map linear map styles and graphics is a little too objective seeing as gaming is very subjective.

However criticizing valve games for map linear map styles and graphics is a little too objective

You mean subjective bro. And yeah it is, but aren't we allowed our own opinions here?

Gold src is based off of id tech 3 and sure enough you can use the HL1 objects with the open source id tech 3 with some work.

You mean subjective bro. And yeah it is, but aren't we allowed our own opinions here?

Gold src is based off of id tech 3 and sure enough you can use the HL1 objects with the open source id tech 3 with some work.

Yeah...I had subjective on there since this is all your opinion, but your argument is taking it all to a rational level and comparing it to other games, thus objectively comparing it to the modern standard.

Its like saying "questing in WoW is fun". That's very subjective, however its what the game is and so objectively that is the "fun" the game provides, HOWEVER, its subjective to the user.

The hackers and kids turned me off to CS:S. It was good at first, but then the horde of fail took it over.

See, the open ended nature of some newer games is a real clincher for me. You can replay the game so much and get different outcomes. In HL2 you can't do that, and I think the open ended games give you much more of your money's worth.

BTW I started playing through HL2 again after I got the gray thing fixed. It's turning out to be pretty short since I know all of the tricks. Now I'm just going for speed.

So you prefer open ended single player games over linear ones, then you should like GTA4, the best open ended game in my opinion. ( Yes the PC port is bad ) Fallout 3 and Oblivion 4 are also a very good open ended RPGs.

Lastly, I actually consider the HL2 package to have incredibly amounts of replay value because their multiplayer ( particularly CS:S ) allows a different experience every time and its a e-sport where you can perfect your skills and see yourself grow along with join leagues etc etc. Lastly, hacking for CS:S wasn't near as bad as it was in CS 1.6, and now adays its very rare I can account a hacker and if I do its usually a shotty server since hes not banned by an admin.

So you prefer open ended single player games over linear ones, then you should like GTA4, the best open ended game in my opinion. ( Yes the PC port is bad ) Fallout 3 and Oblivion 4 are also a very good open ended RPGs.

Lastly, I actually consider the HL2 package to have incredibly amounts of replay value because their multiplayer ( particularly CS:S ) allows a different experience every time and its a e-sport where you can perfect your skills and see yourself grow along with join leagues etc etc. Lastly, hacking for CS:S wasn't near as bad as it was in CS 1.6, and now adays its very rare I can account a hacker and if I do its usually a shotty server since hes not banned by an admin.

I love GTA, GTA4 was a bit of a disappointment on the pc port. I understand its very buggy and slow. I have oblivion and fallout 3 and beat them both. Fallout 3 has a few bugs, but they were mostly fixed with patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom