Fun with the Source engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think HDR was added until a bit after HL2 was released, but I could be wrong.

For me, the fact that back when it was released, it looked really good when I had an AMD 3200+, 1GB of RAM, and a 9800pro, still sells it for me. You don't need a lot of horespower to have it look good on your rig.

I don't think HDR was added until a bit after HL2 was released, but I could be wrong.

For me, the fact that back when it was released, it looked really good when I had an AMD 3200+, 1GB of RAM, and a 9800pro, still sells it for me. You don't need a lot of horespower to have it look good on your rig.

HDR came out when Lost coast came out, in fact Lost coast was a demo primarily testing the HDR

I don't get it, now all these people come flooding in saying HL2 graphics are good, but when I was arguing with Zmatt and Rican back in the day, no one backed up my opinion that I thought HL2 looked decent even by todays standards...pshhhht :p

Its still a pretty game despite its dated graphics. Its not jaw dropping by any means, but the fact that the graphics are still noted is a good testament.
HL2 was a mile mark for things such as facial animation and later soft particles.

The art style goes along way aswell.

As far as graphics the biggest thing HL2 and all source games have going for them is the facial animation. It's the best I've seen in any game, although every time they say Nova Prospect I lol. I don't think anyone says their P's like that unless they are trying to get a laugh.

The graphics don't look bad if you don't pay attention, but if you start to look around a few things are obvious.

1: The textures are low res and small. You see them repeated in a very short space. AF can alleviate the low res issue to some extent, but a texture overhaul would be nice, since they are constantly updating the game.

2: The 3d models are really low count. There is more detail put into the heads, and for good reason, the facial animation demands it, but the rest of the body seems to have suffered because of it.

And If you check HL2 today you will notice that they added HDR at some point after lost coast. It's there, but it doesn't work well. My guess is the lighting in HL2 isn't well tailored to it so its a lost effect.

As far as graphics the biggest thing HL2 and all source games have going for them is the facial animation. It's the best I've seen in any game, although every time they say Nova Prospect I lol. I don't think anyone says their P's like that unless they are trying to get a laugh.

The graphics don't look bad if you don't pay attention, but if you start to look around a few things are obvious.

1: The textures are low res and small. You see them repeated in a very short space. AF can alleviate the low res issue to some extent, but a texture overhaul would be nice, since they are constantly updating the game.

2: The 3d models are really low count. There is more detail put into the heads, and for good reason, the facial animation demands it, but the rest of the body seems to have suffered because of it.

And If you check HL2 today you will notice that they added HDR at some point after lost coast. It's there, but it doesn't work well. My guess is the lighting in HL2 isn't well tailored to it so its a lost effect.

you know Starcraft, one of the best critically acclaimed games out there graphics are just 2d sprites! can you believe that? Their not even 3d models, just 2d sprites...also the game is limited to 640ishx480 resolution and that can't even be changed...how ghetto for a 11 year old game! and a whole nation plays this game!

you know Starcraft, one of the best critically acclaimed games out there graphics are just 2d sprites! can you believe that? Their not even 3d models, just 2d sprites...also the game is limited to 640ishx480 resolution and that can't even be changed...how ghetto for a 11 year old game! and a whole nation plays this game!

whats your point? I play civ3, its a 2d strategy game also. IMO strategy games don't need the visuals as much as fps or rpgs do. The focus there is all mental not visual.

The other thing about the engine, and maybe the most important is that it is so pc friendly.....people with an average pc can still enjoy the game, unlike that Crysis crap.

Now if you want HL2 to look better and tax your system alittle....why don't you go and install the latest FAKEFACTORY mod.....it will look better.

The other thing about the engine, and maybe the most important is that it is so pc friendly.....people with an average pc can still enjoy the game, unlike that Crysis crap.

Now if you want HL2 to look better and tax your system alittle....why don't you go and install the latest FAKEFACTORY mod.....it will look better.

Crysis isn't crap, it's meta score is only 4 points below HL2's.

well...did you read what I said...lets just say the engine is not pc friendly.....I don't think anyone can argue that point.

what-is-fail.jpg

lol not fail at all! I took those screenshots yesterday in EPISODE 2.

So...

TruckOfFail.jpg

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom