Freespace Ii Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
For those people that remember it from a few years back, FREESPACE II is nowy legally shareable as long as there is no profit made.

For those people that don't remember it, the FreeSpace and FreeSpace II was one of the best space flight combat sim ever made since WingCommander.

FS2_Open / the SCP / Source Code Project

From the time it became apparent that there would be no FS3 the most repeated complaint the community had was that Volition wouldn't release the source code so that the community could work on it themselves. However, Volition did release the source code and many of those within the community with programming experience got to work on it. The result was FS2_open. The project to make FS2_open has come to be known (originally enough) as the Source Code Project (SCP).

FS2_open is not FS3. Instead it is a enhancement of the original Freespace 2 engine. The idea is that by running FS2_open you can play the Freespace 2 main campaign and all the Freespace 2 mods with better graphics, augmented AI and better mod support. In addition to this improvements have been made to several of the games basics to add new kinds of weapons and missions that couldn't be done before. These effects won't show up in the main campaign but will show up when special "Made for SCP" mods begin to appear.

The differences between FS2 retail and FS2_open are fairly extensive. Some think it is almost like playing a new game.

ISO for the game located at ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/games/freebies/Freespace2/

The Freespace 2 Source Code Project is http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php

dhw200 said:
I loved Freespace 2, but i never got freespace 1. Is that also freeware now?
Not sure about FreeSpace 1. It's strange that they would release FP2 for free, and not do FS1.

Graphic Wise, FP2 was better. But I think I liked the game play better in FP1.

Like the number of Nebula missions in FP2 drove me nucking futs.
Like your radars were not working properly. Appart from the becon that you needed to follow, there was no real way on knowing what direction you were heading.

However finding yourself just stone throwing distance away from a heavy shevan batter cruiser was fun.

FREESPACE 1 also had an expansion to it as well.

I think free space 1 was much more dramatic. I'll never forget the opening movie where the lady didn't believe or couldn't understand that they were pretty much f'k'd by unknown hostiles. The game was just awesome, and the story line (for a space sim) was much better.

This post contains spoilers

killians45 said:
I think free space 1 was much more dramatic. I'll never forget the opening movie where the lady didn't believe or couldn't understand that they were pretty much f'k'd by unknown hostiles. The game was just awesome, and the story line (for a space sim) was much better.
It was. My previous next store neigbour just loves watching that intro again and again.

Like for the first few missions, you were flying around not really knowing about the new threat and how you going to combat it.

As for the second game, about the only dramatic parts were....
**** SPOILER WARNING ****

1. The storyline about combating that rogue general and his faction that wanted to side with the Shivans.

2. Finding out about the Shivan Sathanas Juggernaught Ship*. (And we just thought the Lucifier from FS1 was bad)

3. The destruction of the Colosius. Man this that piss me off.

4. Finding out that there was more than 1 Shivan Sathanas Juggernaught Ship. (HOLY $#!+, There was more of them!!!!)

* Just to get an idea on the a Shivan Sathanas Juggernaught, check out http://www.merzo.net/10mpp.htm
It dwarfs a Star Wars Star Destroyer and just about all the other ships from Macross (Robotech) Anime

**** SPOILER END WARNING ****

There was that one FS2 mission when you are with spec ops flying maras and encounter all the juggernauts....that was brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom