Framerate: RAM or graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry my laptop everyday and I take notes religiously on it. I have almost totally stopped using notebooks altogether. I don't recommend that for most people but it works for me.

my powerbook is 12inchs and weighs about 5 pounds. And has a good battery. It has dedicated graphics, but its on par with current integrated chipsets. The most gaming it has ever done was chess and its 2d.

Thats good, I wish I could do that but I just stick with the ole pen and paper......it would sure be easier with a laptop.

So you aren't pwning noobs while you are getting a lecture??

I just can't understand why you would need to carry around your gaming computer.

And I have used gaming laptops, I hate them. I hate the small screen, the keyboard, and laptop mouses.

LAN party? I would rather carry my desktop to a LAN party and game comfortably than struggle with the keyboard of a laptop and small screen.

Unless you bring a monitor, keyboard, and regular sized mouse......but then all you have is a desktop computer.....except smaller and really hot, with less performance.

And for travel, I take my laptop....but I don't game in an airport because you really can't due to the wifi restrictions (and I would be afraid to play CS:S at an airport, "BOOM HEADSHOT!!, the bomb is at B....QUICK DEFUSE THE BOMB!!"). And when you are in a hotel that means you are there for either:

a) Vacation.....you shouldn't be playing video games on vacation.
b) Business.....I am usually in meetings all day or doing vacation like activities.

I see a lot of close mindedness.

Your guys argument is that gaming laptops are not portable, not true.

And no, just because you are at a hotel doesnt mean you are on business or on vacation and shouldn't be playing games.

I stay at a hotel every drill weekend for my national guard drills, and most of the time when we get called onto state orders. usually ill be staying at Shepard, and they have dsl/wifi there so i can get my game on.

Id rather game than go out and spend my money on stupid stuff or go drinking (although i do buy myself some rum and bring it back there with me occasionally).

And quite frankly 15.4" is not big...17" and 19" is. Sorry but i just cant see myself using a small netbook that i feel is gonna break on me, im 6'0" 256 pounds and have rather large hands. And id rather not stare at a tiny screen with a small res.

I can tell most of the rejection of that idea comes from the kid who wants the "cool" laptop in class, instead of the functional. Come sophemore year, that laptop is now a POS and all the new freshman have a cool one.
wtf????

Seriously dude?? That has nothing to do with it....im not even in college. I see certain people here making a general statement that all gaming laptops are big, clunky and run hot.

Sorry but times have changed. Many gaming laptops are now the same size as regular laptops, and run cooler and have better specs than they ever did. If i buy a new laptop, id rather have a dedicated gpu over integrated.

I wouldn't consider a 15.4" laptop to be very portable, I didn't even think my old 14" laptop was all that portable.Until I see a gaming laptop that doesn't weigh more than twice what my laptop does I will continue to say they aren't portable. Taking a laptop to a hotel with you is one thing, you just carry it from the car into the room so it doesn't matter how portable it is or how long the battery lasts. In my CS classes there are a bunch of guys who have the gateway fx's and Dell Xps gaming laptops and they had to show up to all of the lectures early to make sure they get one of the seats with a outlet since the laptops had such bad battery life. Guess what they ended up using their gaming laptops for, word processing and web browsing just like all of the people with eeepc's expert they people with eeepc's could make it through the lecture without plugging their laptops in. Some of those people with gaming laptops are looking at getting netbooks now because they are sick of carrying their current laptops around.

There are plenty of portable laptops that aren't the stereotypical netbook like the Dell mini 12, Inspirion 13, XPS m1330, lenovo x200 etc

Half of the laptops out there that are labeled as gaming laptops really aren't. They just have 3 gigs of ram and a dedicated video card. Big deal. I'm talking about the huge 9lbs.< beasts that people carry because they think they are cool. Personally I htink anything over 6 pounds is too much and 6 pounds is pushing it. I saw a guy the other day sitting in the hallway outside of a classroom charging his Alienware and looking at the clock anxiously. I laughed.

Ehhh....you call it close mindedness.....I call it experience.

I am not making any argument at all about a "gaming" laptop not being portable. That isn't an issue for me, unless it weighs like 12 lbs. or something.

My point is......WHY? Why game on a laptop? It is uncomfortable, you can't concentrate, you have a small screen, a bad keyboard, and a bad mouse.

I consider gaming a leisure activity, to be done in my free time. Not something I must do at all times, on the road, on vacation, at school, on the way to work, at a business meeting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom