Framerate: RAM or graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingojac

Beta member
I have a laptop that has 4 gigabytes of RAM but a measly video card with 64MB (nVidia GeForce 7150M). I want to start playing Warhammer Online, but I know I have a graphics card under the minimum requirement. Am I still going to lag even though I have 4 gigabytes of RAM? I need to know before I purchase the game.

Yes. Laptops will never be for gaming.....and if anyone trys to sell you a "gaming" laptop you should slap them in the face.

But thats JMHO....

GPU, but there are some cheap gaming laptops...

Those 8800M GTS = Desktop 9600GT if I remember and those are around $1000

Yes. Laptops will never be for gaming.....and if anyone trys to sell you a "gaming" laptop you should slap them in the face.

But thats JMHO....

Have you seen the laptops on the market??

Theres many that can put some desktops on here to shame....and for a good price too.

Plenty of gaming laptops priced well under $2K....times have changed.

They have indeed. The newer dedicated graphics cards are pretty good. Especially considering most screen sizes don't even make it to 20".

Nothing wrong with the new laptops ^^
except crappy laptop keyboards :S i can never get used to them heh

and to the OP, there's probably a good chance. RAM seems to have very little effect on most gaming :/ I can cut my ram in half and not notice a difference. Unfortunately the same can't be said with graphics cards.
I don't know much about laptop graphics cards, but anything with a 7 in it would make me wonder. Of course warhammer isn't the most demanding game on earth.

My best advise would be to see if you can nab a free trial, and give it a shot. Nearly all mmo's have a free trial of some sort.

Have you seen the laptops on the market??

Theres many that can put some desktops on here to shame....and for a good price too.

Plenty of gaming laptops priced well under $2K....times have changed.

Yeah they may beat some desktops but only if you are willing to pay twice as much. Plus gaming laptops aren't exactly portable.

Yeah they may beat some desktops but only if you are willing to pay twice as much. Plus gaming laptops aren't exactly portable.

Exactly.....IMO laptops have a purpose but that purpose is not gaming.

And yes, there are some laptops that can play "most" current games pretty decently for under $2k.....but I still don't consider them a gaming machine.

And again, we are talking about $2k here......give me that money for upgrades to my desktop. Please.

Exactly.....IMO laptops have a purpose but that purpose is not gaming.

And yes, there are some laptops that can play "most" current games pretty decently for under $2k.....but I still don't consider them a gaming machine.

And again, we are talking about $2k here......give me that money for upgrades to my desktop. Please.

I said under $2K..well under actually.

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G50VT-X2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

1680x1050 screen res on a 15.4" screen, 9800M GS performs like a desktop 8800GT, has 4GB DDR2 ram, 320gb 7200rpm hd, has a 2.4ghz P8600 which can oc to 2.6ghz, and the cpu is user replaceable.

Oh and can max every game expect crysis....i dunno i call that a gaming machine.

It still can't beat my ~$600 systems E2180 and 8800gs in 3dmark. My desktop and Wind laptop combined still costs significantly less than that and those give me one system that is good at gaming and one that is extremely portable. You could make a case for the asus being good at gaming but it isn't that portable.

Looks very portable to me.

Ive even seen it in person and its really not much bigger than standard 15.4" laptops.

What does your machine score in 3dmark?? That asus laptop gets 8078 stock in 3dmark06.

Not really fair to compare, your cpu is clocked at 3ghz so of course it will score higher. game performance will be the same though. And for the price, its actually a very solid system.

You cant carry your desktop + monitor in a backpack, and it weighs much more than 7 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom