Framerate: RAM or graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power supply needed for those 'gaming' laptops are almost the same size as the laptop itself! If you want to game whilst away from home, get a PSP

Yes, and they are currently on $135 on the Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum with 3 games!!

(Advertising my own PSP of course) :)

I have a 9600M GT in my lappy and it runs most games fine (maybe not at max). TF2 runs at a solid 40 fps @ 1680 x 1050 with high settings on a full server.

Wow gaming laptops have gone very cheap, nice post from ricanflow...although i personally hate gaming laptops, they are usually heavy as ****, that one is priced very well. for me tho, I think at that price range i'd just get a sony vaio 13" with its magnesium alloy casing and call it a day :) Gaming is what my i7 is for!

OK....that is nice. You can have your $1300-$1400 laptop that scores 8800 in 3dmark06......i'll take my build that is about $400 less with almost double that 3dmark score.

And upgradable. Can you SLI that 9800M or switch it out for a new card in a year? Then that is a problem for me. In the past 2 years I have went from 6800GT, to 7900GS, to 8600GTS, to 8800GT, to 9800GTX, and now to the GTX 260.

I want performance, not something to show off in class. My old 1.6 Ghz, 512MB Dell takes notes and does research just fine.......yet CS 1.6 is quite a chore.

9800M GS is no slug, and that laptop is a nice machine.

You just cant compare desktops to laptops. Can you carry your whole desktop + screen, keyboard & mouse in a backpack and run it off a 90w power supply??

No...you cant. It offers extremely good performance for the price. Dont dog something you havent used. 3dmark is a synthetic benchmark...in terms of real world performance that laptop has no issues running games on max settings.

even crysis runs well. You think that machine is for showing off? lol how about the overpriced macbook pro with an 8600m that costs $1800...thats a showing off machine to me. regular laptops with integrated graphics used to cost over $1000.

$1300 for a laptop that can game with high res and max settings is a great deal.

The power supply needed for those 'gaming' laptops are almost the same size as the laptop itself! If you want to game whilst away from home, get a PSP

Not really, ive seen it in person and its not that big.

Wow gaming laptops have gone very cheap, nice post from ricanflow...although i personally hate gaming laptops, they are usually heavy as ****, that one is priced very well. for me tho, I think at that price range i'd just get a sony vaio 13" with its magnesium alloy casing and call it a day :) Gaming is what my i7 is for!

Yes, gaming laptops have changed a lot over the years.

Rican's definitely got a good point. There is a point to Gaming laptops. It's for people that want to be able to play games on the move, or don't have the space for a full computer like in a dorm room (I'm still taking my gaming pc though ;) ). And just because they don't play all games with amazing fps doesn't mean it can't play games. All of us here are well aware of the technologies available and we all want the biggest and best parts, while normal people who just enjoy gaming here and there would be fine on normal settings with little lag. And if you think a gaming laptop is too heavy to carry around... maybe you should spend less time playing games and more time at the gym :p They're not much bigger than a standard laptop.

I just can't understand why you would need to carry around your gaming computer.

And I have used gaming laptops, I hate them. I hate the small screen, the keyboard, and laptop mouses.

LAN party? I would rather carry my desktop to a LAN party and game comfortably than struggle with the keyboard of a laptop and small screen.

Unless you bring a monitor, keyboard, and regular sized mouse......but then all you have is a desktop computer.....except smaller and really hot, with less performance.

And for travel, I take my laptop....but I don't game in an airport because you really can't due to the wifi restrictions (and I would be afraid to play CS:S at an airport, "BOOM HEADSHOT!!, the bomb is at B....QUICK DEFUSE THE BOMB!!"). And when you are in a hotel that means you are there for either:

a) Vacation.....you shouldn't be playing video games on vacation.
b) Business.....I am usually in meetings all day or doing vacation like activities.

^^ I completely agree.

Laptops are meant to be portable so you can take them to meetings, classes or stuff like that, none of which involve gaming. When I buy a laptop my primary concern is mobility. I would much rather carry around my 2.2lb laptop that's 6 cell battery lasts ~6 hours around than a >10lb gaming laptop with sli graphics cards that struggles to get 2 hors of battery life because all I would only use either of them for is web browsing and MS Office.

I think it is a preference thing. But this is my standing on laptops.... Desktops are by nature meant to be huge fire breathing speed demons. Laptops were developed because businessmen could increase productivity if they could take their data and work on it anywhere. Laptops had to be powerful enough to run the same business applications as a pc and yet be small enough to carry and have a good battery life.

Here we are some 20 years later. its pretty easy to make a portable machine that can run office apps. Heck my smart phone does it. So as long as you can retain the same price and size envelope as before than adding power and features isn't a bad thing. it adds versatility. How ever I see it in lecture every day. There are guys who have these beastly 19inch Alienware laptops with sli video cards and a terabyte of hard drive space. Every 5 minutes or so they pick it up off their laps to let their **** cool off. I don't see anything wrong with a dedicated video card in a laptop. In fact I think its a smart move. However I think that the movement to make gaming laptops is a very silly one and a waste of cash. I would like to be able to game every now and then but not at the cost of going sterile.

Asus and MSI make some good laptops in the $1200-$1500 range with respectable dedicated cards. They don't make a large amount of heat. Have standard screens, get standard battery life and have slick well built cases. This is fine. I recommend them all the time. I also have a friend with a $3000 Alienware gaming laptop. Dual core Turion, 2gig DDR2 and sli 7950gts. Yeah, not that impressive anymore. It doesn't have battery life and it runs hot as ****. The biggest wast of tech dollars I have seen in a long time. This time he is having me build him a Core i7 desktop.

Agreed with puddle and zmatt.

I see two reasons for a laptop, school and business. Neither of which you should be playing games while doing (even though we all want to). I don't really want to play my computer games in public anyways and look like a jackass. I can't concentrate and it would be uncomfortable.

Listen to the professor in class, then when you are done go home and play the game you want to play on your beast $1,000 desktop.

Anytime I talk to someone who is either a student or the parent of the student I say the same thing. Take that $1,500 you were going to spend on a laptop and spend $1,200 on a desktop and buy a $300 used laptop that has a word processor and powerpoint.

I can tell most of the rejection of that idea comes from the kid who wants the "cool" laptop in class, instead of the functional. Come sophemore year, that laptop is now a POS and all the new freshman have a cool one.

Honestly, I have been in college for 4 years now......the only thing I have seen people do in class are take notes and get on facebook. My current college is a decent size with 12,000 students and large lecture halls and I see maybe 4 students out of 80 that bring laptops to class. The other 76 are in their dorm or apt. on a desk SERVING (or pretending to be) a desktop computer.

I have had 4 out of my past 5 roommates that used laptops on a desk, plugged in, and that is where they stayed. One takes it to class sometimes, the other never. WHY, that is all I want to know is WHY?!?!!

*BTW* Guess where all the gaming in the apartments occured?? Yep, you got it.....on my computer. Every day I would get out of class to find my roommates playing games on my computer. Tell me laptops are for gaming.....even the Alienware laptop was severely overpowered by my AMD 6000+ and 7900GS at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom