SOUND CARD OR SPEAKERS

• sound card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • speakers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmph. What's bad about using some of Doom 3's sound effects?
the fact that if I want to play doom, I'll do it.

And yeah I realize that FEAR isn't that original with the whole creepy little girl and especially slow motion as of course matrix and max payne pretty much did that, but there are enough changes in the first person shoot em up aspect to still make it fun...quake4 however is the same old crap...especially being that it's the fourth game in this series, once you played one quake or UT you've played them all.

And yeah, the ring of course is the first thing everyone things of when seeing a creepy little girl...ring is actually a pretty old movie that originated in japan...believe it's way more popular and known over there though as the ring completely sucked...dumbest movie I ever saw but that's besides the point.

Nothing is 100% original...
Yeah, that's an understatement by todays standards...no original movies or music these days.

But it's the way you impliment 'borrowed' features IMO....Tell me a gave that you've played where you can compare FEAR to and say it feels exactly like that game....because I can do that with Quake and Doom.....I even let a friend come over and play that game and he stops about 30 minutes in and says "Yeah....it's basically doom", it's just more light instead of dark areas.

I never said FEAR was completely original, but it's implimentation of old tricks (bullet time) and story (creepy girl) and the way the whole game is put together makes it overall as a package seem more fun and appealing.

Of course you also have to take into consideration, some people are simply die hard quake fans....I'm not....no doubt by the time I'm 50 there'll be a quake 78 and Unreal 63 out...I just hate these repetative mindless games

Nubius said:
Of course you also have to take into consideration, some people are simply die hard quake fans

Yup, ever since I first saw Quake (1) four-player deathmatch in the flesh waaaay back in it's day, I was enticed.

Nubius said:
no doubt by the time I'm 50 there'll be a quake 78

I do hope so ;)

Do understand that, as I said, it's a difficult choice choosing between these two great games to say which one is 'better'. But Quake 4 just has the edge fo me, perhaps due to a little sentimentality but there you go.

These topics are dumb anyway if I may say. I have both games, and I'm happy to treat each one as they are, not what they lack of each other.

So you finally got a 6800 GT beed? Congrats!

Having played both (i dont own them, but a friend does), FEAR definitly is better

Do understand that, as I said, it's a difficult choice choosing between these two great games to say which one is 'better'. But Quake 4 just has the edge fo me, perhaps due to a little sentimentality but there you go.
well that's that pretty much, you obviously like quake simply because you've always enjoyed the games...I've never really played that much into the previous quake games nor cared about em, so when you look at it as a stand alone game instead of being a previous fan you can see it for the repetative garbage it is :D

:p

Nubius said:
They mainly went for the physics of being able to push things around (which lacked in FEAR) and the outward appearance of most things.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with this fact. F.E.A.R doesn't bring much surrounding interaction into the gameplay. You almost feel like the only thing you can interact with is Medkits, Armor, Weapons, power-ups and you can break vent cover. Sure, you can kick a paint can or a soda can around, but nothing like picking up objects or moving objects with your character like HL2. There were a few times in F.E.A.R where I wanted to move a box or 2 to use to climb up on a ledge or ventilation shaft. Also, they could have included a few more "puzzles" into the gameplay. There is one, but it's at the end. And it's not really much of a puzzle. You're basically just walking from point A to point B after fighting a few (AI). They are spectacular fire fights don't get me wrong. It just seems so linear.

When using FRAPS my FPS is all over the board. Some rooms and areas I would get like 80 to 100 FPS. Then other areas i'd get like less then 30. Some fire fights it would be 40 or so, others it would be 15 or a low as 5. (This is with all the settings on high).

Bottomline for me is this, F.E.A.R does bring a beautiful looking game to the table. Gameplay isn't groundbreaking at all which was disappointing. Once I finished it I asked myself, "that's it?". One thing I hope is that the next version of F.E.A.R will do much more as far as actually gameplay. Without spoiling the ending, "There will be another F.E.A.R." Hopeful they make it better.

DoomUK said:
These topics are dumb anyway if I may say. I have both games, and I'm happy to treat each one as they are, not what they lack of each other.
Well, the reason I made this topic was to hear the opinions of some people who own the games so I can decide which to buy. I'm not going to get them both at the same time so I want to get the better one first.

edit: It seems that most people like FEAR better but there are a few things that make me think I might like Quake4 even more. First I don't think I will like the slow-motion thing in FEAR. I just like fast pace shooting for the most part and by the sounds of things, the slow-mo is a big part of the single player game.

Besides that I just like the whole sci-fi sytle of Quake. It just appeals to me more than some plain, grey, wasteland setting like FEAR.

Finally I like Quake's deathmatch alot.

On the other hand though, I do like horror style games. The little girl thing doesn't seem too scary though. It has been done since The Exorcist.

I guess the only thing that makes me consider FEAR is how everyone says it is the best and how it is 'THE game to get right now'. Since Quake4 got good reviews for it's single player and the only thing people say bad about it's multiplayer is how it's just like Quake3 (which is a good thing IMO) , I think I'm going to get Quake4 first and maybe get FEAR later when it costs $20-30.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with this fact. F.E.A.R doesn't bring much surrounding interaction into the gameplay. You almost feel like the only thing you can interact with is Medkits, Armor, Weapons, power-ups and you can break vent cover. Sure, you can kick a paint can or a soda can around, but nothing like picking up objects or moving objects with your character like HL2. There were a few times in F.E.A.R where I wanted to move a box or 2 to use to climb up on a ledge or ventilation shaft. Also, they could have included a few more "puzzles" into the gameplay. There is one, but it's at the end. And it's not really much of a puzzle. You're basically just walking from point A to point B after fighting a few (AI). They are spectacular fire fights don't get me wrong. It just seems so linear.
whoa, we agree on something...amazing.

What you basically said right now is the exact thing me and a friend said....not only could you only push around a soda can or hammer or something...it would push it around when you weren't even necessarily anywhere near it.

There was also one instance where there was a vent up high, and both me and a friend tried pushing the exact same table up to it only to find out of course it wouldn't move (he came over to play a few days after me...pretty odd we both tried the same thing) Doors that are cracked open you can't push open, you actually have to click your 'use' button for that to happen...those blinds in the office rooms you can't walk through, I guess they must weigh like 200lbs each or something.

So yeah I was pretty disappointed in that as well.

yeah FEAR did seem short...anywhere between 6-8 hours of gameplay depending on difficulty setting, and whether or not you thoroughly explored or rushed through it or what...aaaand yeah, pretty much thought the same thing, that they left it open for another and it better be loads better...god knows when it'll come out though, maybe like 2010 or something.

I just like fast pace shooting for the most part and by the sounds of things, the slow-mo is a big part of the single player game.
Nah, unless you play it on the most difficult setting you can get away without using it too much....I kept telling my friend to use slow-mo, he said half the time he forgot about it, and he basically blasted his way through.

the fact of 'a creepy little girl' isn't all that original, but just wait until you find out the story about her, then it makes it more interesting.

Hmm

Considering the fact that Q4 is built using the D3 engine says alot but owning D3 and Fear Fear comes out way ahead of Q4 and D3.
Nothing really new or special about Q4 graphics wise is D3 with a new a different name and a little enhanced graphics.

Fear blew me away, no other game I thought was the best could prepare me for Fear. HL2/Source Didn't do it for me like fear has insane combat with out of this world physics and ambience and graphics.

Nubius, you were dissapointed in FEAR? C'mon man, you were talking about FEAR for a long long time I can't believe you are dissapointed! I haven't finished the game, but I think it is awesome so far. What games do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom