FEAR graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:

My favourite engine from this year though would have to be COD2...the explosions and the russian campaign when it's snowing everywhere looked really really good and it wasn't very taxing at all

I'll second that.

The particle effects of FEAR are amazing.

Another game with excellent gfx is Silent Hunter III. It is a submarine simulation, but it looks amazing. The water modeling is incredible, and when a ship blows up/sinks, its always something worth watching

FEAR's graphics aren't poor, or horrible by any means compared to the Doom 3 engine or the Source engine. The FEAR engine is a lot like the Doom 3 engine except in Direct 3D, it has Per-Pixel lighting, advanced shader effects like shockwaves, etc... And FEAR has something that neither the source engine nor the Doom 3 engine has: Parallax Mapping. Go up to a brick wall in FEAR, or shoot out a big chunk of whatever in a wall or the floor, and you'll see that the texture has depth and space.

A lot of people think that FEAR has crappy graphics just because of the lack of texture variety, and when an engine is pumping out god knows how many particle effects everywhere, having a lot of textures along with the particles will really slow down a system. FEAR also uses shaders more extensively than Doom 3 or HL2. When you go into slo-mo, bullets refract space, FEAR uses parallax mapping, per-pixel lighting, particle physics, water reflections/refractions, shockwave effects, specular lighting, its really pumping out a lot of shaders and thatÂ’s what slows it down. HL2 or Doom 3 donÂ’t use nearly as many shader effects as FEAR does.

But where Doom 3/Quake 4 and HL2 get a leg up is in the texture variety. HL2Â’s environments look much more convincing than FEARÂ’s because HL2 isnÂ’t pumping out an ungodly amount of shaders like in FEAR. Because HL2 was easier on the shaders, Valve used the opportunity to use more textures. HL2Â’s environments have more variety in them than FEARÂ’s and thatÂ’s why itÂ’s more visually pleasing. Same goes with Doom 3 and Quake 4.

Lets face it, FEAR was coded by a bunch of amateurs who have no consideration for the graphics card market. what else can one expect from Sierra? I run a P4 3.0 with HT on an ASUS board with a GeForce 6800 and FEAR is so much **** that it still slows down noticably. on top of that, it puts tremendous load on the graphics card and cpu which consequently makes all the fans run at max speed which is noisy. the fact that the game itself advertises for nvidia lead me to believe that the 6800 could take it but i was mistaken. the only force that could reckon with FEAR is the 7800GTX which i tested on my other self built system. it has a Pentium Extreme dual core with HT and PCI-E Geforce 7800GTX and ASUS mobo ofcourse.

So i think people should not have to go through that expense to play 1 game just because the programmers are amateurs. So dont buy fear. I bought the directors edition dvd and used update patch 1.02 during my tests. but because the game was so lame i returned it. i made a backup copy though, incase i ever needed it.

Yes i agree that the FEAR engine has crappy optimization. My computer ran FEAR on 1024*768 with max setting and soft shadows off with 4x AA very smoothly(i would guess 30-60FPS)and i have a 6800 Vanilla.

The game was awesome because particles are flying everywhere chunks are flying off the walls all of that in slowmotion, it looks great.

Yep, just played it some more.... the only good thing about it is the slow mo stuff, esp if your close to someone, oh, and the scary stuff.......otherwise its not visually appealing at all; in fact very boring, and alot of ideas/graphics stolen from HL2....

I guess its whats important to each person...but i bet this game with a 7800gtx 512mb aint a huge visual improvement over my 6800gs right now...

I finished Quake 4 yesterday and i would have to say that was the best looking game i have played since HL2.

Im up to the first part of El Alamein in COD2, great game so far.

FEAR seems to like to be run at 1024x768. Anything above that causes problems, and requires a 7800GT or higher and will still get choppy in places. This really sucks for LCD users who require to play at 1280x960 because of the native resolution problem.

The developers of FEAR had no respect for the market. Just a little bit more optimization as well as removal of unnecissary shaders would have FEAR running a whole lot better. I hope Unreal Engine 3 doesn't have as much disregard for the market as FEAR had.

C'Mon, Sierra, you can't expect everyone to have a 7800GTX and code your games as if everybody does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom