FEAR graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Ok for a while now everyones been touting fear as the hands down best graphics game there is. It truely was an excellent game, but could someone explain to me what makes it graphically better then HL2 or Doom 3 (aside from doom sucking on ATI cards). For fun I turned everything on max in fear to see what it looked like (yay 5 fps), but it really didnt look much different from hl2 to me. Is it the lighting effects in fear that make it better? In all honesty i found the lost coast to have way better lighting, what am i missing??

The only thing that I felt distinguished FEAR technology wise is the fact that the enemys wernt complete retards, and would actually surprise you sometimes.

The great graphics come in when you start shooting everything up, the wall particles and stuff like that all mixing together is what makes the game so beautifal because no other games goes in to that match detail with the surroundings, also when you hit metal you get the sparks flying everywhere.

That's what i think makes the game so good looking.

Yeah its the particle effects, i.e. all the sparks that fly when you shoot various things.

F.E.A.R. sucks on ATI cards btw too.

I totally agree with you Mr.T, WTF?? Im playin it right now with a 6800gs and the graphics are much poorer than HL2 and Doom3...

I am replaying Doom 3, and I have to say I like its engine much better than F.E.A.R's engine. People just think FEAR is great because its the most demanding, while most demanding isn't always the best.

I think companies should existing engines more such as Doom 3 or the Source engine instead of having to try to make a new engine that blows all previous ones away but is so horribly optimized even the highest end computers have trouble running it.

BandwidthHogg said:
I think companies should existing engines more such as Doom 3 or the Source engine instead of having to try to make a new engine that blows all previous ones away but is so horribly optimized even the highest end computers have trouble running it.

I think what you are trying to say is FEAR runs like crap on Nvidia and ATI... and everything else :p

i downloaded the fear demo... are there any different graphic options from the retail version? i ask this because i was able to play online with every thing maximum and soft shadows off.. and it played extremely smooth. im not sure of the FR but i has to be pretty high considering there is no noticible lagging at all

Ya but youve got a 7800gt theres bigjoe.

Bandwidthhog I agree with you about how they should use the doom 3 and hl2 engines some more, but for each game they need to do tweaks to the engine. Vampire the masquerade bloodlines ran on the source engine but it was so horribly glitched because of lack of engine tweaks.

However of all the engines Id have to say hl2 is by far the best, the physics in FEAR and doom dont even come close. Not only that but HL2 runs fairly decent on low end systems to boot.

As for my forum name, Guybrush Threepwood is from a video game series that started in 1991 called Monkey Island. Its great if you like oldschool adventure games, theres even a new one but it isnt as good.

As mentioned the particle effects were the thing that really made the FEAR engine any decent...I've always been saying that it's a good awful optimized engine though

My favourite engine from this year though would have to be COD2...the explosions and the russian campaign when it's snowing everywhere looked really really good and it wasn't very taxing at all

I still must agree though that the Source engine is the absolute best engine built to date and has much room for expansion...HDR can be used really effectively on it if not overdone

gaara said:
My favourite engine from this year though would have to be COD2...the explosions and the russian campaign when it's snowing everywhere looked really really good and it wasn't very taxing at all

I agree. I just got COD2 for Christmas and actually just installed it and started playing it last night. I'm really impressed with this game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom