FarCry 2 Analysis..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm perfectly fine playing at lower fps in games, higher is better but I can stand low 20s in Crysis, high 30s in FEAR. But when a game jumps around it drives me crazy. In FEAR I would of preferred the high 30s constant over say 60 give or take 20.

wat fps do u get in fear? 30s?

lol. 1920x1200, 2xaa, max enthusiast DX10 crysis. 30-45fps, no higher no lower. no hiccups. runs beautifully, looks fantastic.

Same settings, or the farcry 2 equivilant, 45-85-ish fps, plays just as smooth as crysis, doesn't look as good. (though still looks great, so whatever.)

I don't care what anyone says. 30fps in these newer FPS games feels different than 30fps in the older games. What you said about the drop in fps being most noticable is true for sure, but jumping between 30-45 in crysis makes no difference.

And I lol when people say Source engine > cryengine.
Yes it is built and more than likely optimized better. It doesn't look even half as good. even with the full cinematic mods to improve the losuy textures in halflife 2, it has nothing on these two games in question. All it has is the fact that it's old enough that people can run it over 100fps. yeah it still looks good, but not even in the same league.
The unreal engine is good, but as far as graphics go its pretty much just the bloom slider cranked as high as it will go. :/ I love UT3 and play it a ton, and it does look good, and runs great, but same as the source engine, its just in the wrong league.

Anyhow, that widescreen thing is a bit irksome. I didn't know about it before, and honestly couldn't place what felt wrong, but there was something kind of nagging slightly that just looked.. off.
Obviously since I couldn't even put my finger on it till I seen that post, it's not a big enough deal to even worry about, but meh.

yeah far cry 2 has a bunch of bugs, and probably shouldn't have been released without further testing, but i'm not sorry I bought it :p it's still loads of fun.

I do agree on the militia camps respawning every 3 min is crazy. Lol, I cleared 1, drive like 100 feet and talked to on of your buddies about a mission, took MAYBE 5 min including the driving, on the drive back the camp was full again.
GRRRRR. Lol.

lol. 1920x1200, 2xaa, max enthusiast DX10 crysis. 30-45fps, no higher no lower. no hiccups. runs beautifully, looks fantastic.

Same settings, or the farcry 2 equivilant, 45-85-ish fps, plays just as smooth as crysis, doesn't look as good. (though still looks great, so whatever.)

I don't care what anyone says. 30fps in these newer FPS games feels different than 30fps in the older games. What you said about the drop in fps being most noticable is true for sure, but jumping between 30-45 in crysis makes no difference.

And I lol when people say Source engine > cryengine.
Yes it is built and more than likely optimized better. It doesn't look even half as good. even with the full cinematic mods to improve the losuy textures in halflife 2, it has nothing on these two games in question. All it has is the fact that it's old enough that people can run it over 100fps. yeah it still looks good, but not even in the same league.
The unreal engine is good, but as far as graphics go its pretty much just the bloom slider cranked as high as it will go. :/ I love UT3 and play it a ton, and it does look good, and runs great, but same as the source engine, its just in the wrong league.

Anyhow, that widescreen thing is a bit irksome. I didn't know about it before, and honestly couldn't place what felt wrong, but there was something kind of nagging slightly that just looked.. off.
Obviously since I couldn't even put my finger on it till I seen that post, it's not a big enough deal to even worry about, but meh.

yeah far cry 2 has a bunch of bugs, and probably shouldn't have been released without further testing, but i'm not sorry I bought it :p it's still loads of fun.

I do agree on the militia camps respawning every 3 min is crazy. Lol, I cleared 1, drive like 100 feet and talked to on of your buddies about a mission, took MAYBE 5 min including the driving, on the drive back the camp was full again.
GRRRRR. Lol.

It's not so much about the visuals and performance of the source engine that makes it the best engine IMO, it's the immense flexibility of what can be accomplished with the engine (hence why there are so many mods based on it) not to mention it's very efficient and fairly easy compared to other engines, offering quick load times and decent visual/performance ratio as well. The FarCry 2 engine (forgot the name) does run very well for it's visuals, but it's fairly obvious why. There is an immense Level of Detail (LoD) change in this game, which often brings a lot of pop in with it. Not bad enough to not be able to get immersed into the environment, but still not that great.

Also there isn't as much physics involved as Crysis as far as I noticed. Most of the shanty buildings don't fall apart, and some of the wooden stuff in the buildings just disappears when it explodes. One thing I loved about Crysis was throwing a grenade into a hut and watching it fly everywhere, but considering how big some of these shanty villages in Far Cry 2 are, I'm not surprised they didn't add a lot of physics to it.

I dunno. I agree the source engine was great for its time, but its too dated. It might play great, but it only looks Ok when you start comparing it to newer games. It might just be because my rig runs great, but i don't care how well it performs compared to the new engines, when i can run the new engines all maxed out without hitches. And my rig wasn't that expensive. Mostly budget parts, except for the video card.

I'm VERY disappointed about the physics in far cry 2. For sure. I was expecting at least the same level as crysis. There isn't much that actually explodes into pieces as far as surroundings. Most crates don't even break. in that respect, this engine is even behind Source.

And shanty's being big or not doesn't matter. Take a look at Red Faction: Guerrilla. They've got full functional steel/concrete buildings/giant bridges and the like down.

Different engines and all that, but I would have at least expected a few shantys to break lol.

oh well.

Here's a couple high res shots max settings and aa. This is about as good as it gets. I'm using thumbnails cause they're huge and people would complain XD

I dunno I'm starting to think there's a serious memory leak with certain setups or something along those lines. I've hit a pattern and i can't play more than 30 min - 45 min before textures start to flicker and disappear, then crash. It's probably not so much a memory leak as something else, but I'm no programmer.

not very far. only around 15-18 or something. been mainly doing assassinations and weapons missions. Ran out of weapons missions though. I guess I have to get more story done. It's frigging hard when im almost at 2 dozen crashes. Gettting so PO'd I end up doing something else for an hour after every crash. It's startin to move pretty far down my priority list. if they don't have a decent patch out by late next week I'll probably just add it to the list of games not worth playing anymore. Which sucks cause it is a fun game.

wow the militia camps are so stupid and annoying.. nobody just shoots at cars randomly without stopping them or identifying them, and ffs, like, i hate the instant spawning of machine gun trucks when you're infiltrating a camp by foot, doesnt make sense!

i really hate the ai, sometimes it can be stupid and overpowered at the same time, like, i see the potential for like incredibly amazing ****, and then something like this just becomes so frustrating,.... I'd rather that you can approach them in a friendly stance and pay a territorial tole or something, rather than having to wipe out a camp EVERY SINGLE TIME, I try and just avoid them but then they send out like two trucks and wreck one of those nice jeeps you find and you have to kill them and they chase your for miles... ANNOYING, this isn't 'intense' gameplay, its just stupid, it's really hindering what could be a great experience, thoroughly annoyed by the way they've set the enemy mechanics in this game

but who am i to complain really, i didn't even pay for it ;)

and it really doesn't max out well at all on my system.. IMO Crysis has a better graphics/performance ratio, this game is however quite huge and the level of rich detail in varied objects and buildings and whatnot is nuts, I'll give it that, and it still pulls off CoD4-like graphics, although hardly performs as well

fire effects on brush and trees, especially at night, is really cool, it reacts with the wind, although sometimes you can see the fire cut off into the road or rock where it's not really supposed to and you can see the bottom of the flame decal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom