Farcry 2..am I missing the point...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to disagree with you, ever try the GTA3+ series? Theres one importance difference between it and Farcry 2, both are open ended games, but one has so much more to do.

In GTA4 for example, you can go bowling, play pool, a tetris like arcade game, play darts, go see a comedy, go buy properties, go be a vigilante for the police, become a taxi driver, ambulance driver, watch tv or listen to the many radio stations, take the train, etc etc

In Farcry 2 the only thing you can do is pretty much just kill respawning people and just collect diamonds to buy more weapons to do so. Possibly this has to do with settings ( Africa vs City ) but still, the design of Farcry 2s single player just screamed repition, and all the professional reviews say it.

GTA4 is the perfect example of how to do an open ended game right, and Farcry 2 is the perfect example of how not to do a open ended game right. They are critics of the GTA series out there ( yes I do believe they exist although theres so very few of them ), and you'll find all of their criticisms to be very weakly developed points. I'm sure glad the GTA series has sold ridiculous amounts of copies...oh and the story is superb when compared to the Farcry 2 story.

I cant really debate with you on this one as I have never really got into the GTA series. Not because I didnt like them, I just never got around to it with having small children ya know? ;) And I was not crazy about the blatant ethical issues in just how many true freedoms you have in the games. I'm not a moralist by any stretch but I'd rather shoot up soldiers than kill cops, pimps and hoes for money, for nothing more than entertainment just because I can.... but that really wouldnt stop me from playing it though. I've played the games enough to know what you can and can't do when someone handed me the controller. But I've never invested time into playing the actual missions from start to finish. Of course my favorite thing was always jacking cars to hear the radio songs. Besides, I'm more of a first person shooter guy instead of 3rd person (exception SplinterCell series).

But from the few times I have played it, that was sort of my thought when playing FarCry2, that it was a combination between the GTA type games and a first person real world shoot em up.

But I can say that I could easily see myself getting VERY bored with at least the earlier GTA's because they are very story driven and like FarCry2, unless I was doing missions I would be bored off my arrsss. But who the heck wants to go bowling and play darts in a game? I know its part of the "openess" but thats why we don't play The Sims2 right? ;) I played that game for two days before I decided this is like GTA except I cant kill anyone. And you are right, the FarCry2 story is about as basic as it gets. Kill the guy who supplies guns, make a few friends along the way.

Hey James.Wired, fair enough... from your first post, it sounded as if you seriously only played a couple of hours. And maybe you did and jumped right into it. I know it took me a while to jump into things like missions. Primarily because the first real mission to kill the constable or police guy, I didnt do because I thought it would ruin faction standing or something. But since it doesnt matter (one of the games flaws) then its anything goes I guess.

In GTA4 for example, you can go bowling, play pool, a tetris like arcade game, play darts, go see a comedy, go buy properties, go be a vigilante for the police, become a taxi driver, ambulance driver, watch tv or listen to the many radio stations, take the train, etc etc

I can do that in real life too. Why I need to sit at home and play that game when I can go outside and go bowling, play pool, a tetris like arcade game, play darts, go see a comedy, go buy properties, go be a vigilante, become a taxi driver, ambulance driver, watch tv or listen to the many radio stations, take the train, etc etc

I'm just gonna say I think all the opened ended games are snore fests.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, gta, and farcry 2.

I actually got 30 hours into Oblivion as well. I know fc2 and gta have more linearish storylines than the first two I mentioned, but I'm still not feelin them. In Oblivion, I tried to play it for awhile, but there were so many times where I would start the game up and then just kinda run around in circles or just go on a killing rampage until I died and had to reload my game because I would be thinking "ah ****, I have no good way to approach this" before turning it off. I'm not a fan of getting the quests and then just keeping at them until they're done. The quests are just kinda there. I need more structure.

FarCry 2 is like Fallout 3 with good graphics and fire physics.

FC2 > FO3.

You just gotta learn how to make farcry 2 fun, quick save before entering a large military base and then storm it with different weapon outfittings each time, stealth, mortar, gung ho. It's great fun.

So the story is crap.. but the AI is pretty clever, and real ! they hit you easily, just like real life. It's easy to hit someone from 50 to 100 meters with an assualt rifle. You're all just used to super unrealistic/no aim AI.

So the story is crap.. but the AI is pretty clever, and real ! they hit you easily, just like real life. It's easy to hit someone from 50 to 100 meters with an assualt rifle. You're all just used to super unrealistic/no aim AI.

I fully agree about the AI, I was always getting shot up a decent amount and the enemies can get pretty well camouflaged with the terrain, I did like that much.

I can do that in real life too. Why I need to sit at home and play that game when I can go outside and go bowling, play pool, a tetris like arcade game, play darts, go see a comedy, go buy properties, go be a vigilante, become a taxi driver, ambulance driver, watch tv or listen to the many radio stations, take the train, etc etc

yeah but you can only go on a shooting rampage in real life once...in GTA4 you can do it as many times as you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom