Farcry 2..am I missing the point...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bored, but had nothing to do, eventualy stoped playing when my saved data went corrupt because my computer decided to BSOD during a save from having some bad ram...

I got it free with my GTX shot some tree's drove a car, shot some guys.. shot a sign about it.
same old same old. its around here somewhere, save it for a regift at X-mas :)

FarCry2 is definitely a game that gets more fun the longer you play it. I also played it for a few hours initially and stopped for about a week. But then I jumped back on it after reading about it and there's nothing you cant do. Its a game that if you want to progress, you HAVE to do missions, regardless of who's missions they are. :cool:

Safehouses as you progress also progress. Their biggest asset is that you can save your game at any of them. If you want to do a mission at night, then get some rest and set your clock on your wrist, and you will wake up at night. At 14% game completion, my safehouses all have vehicles and a healthkit. Also the more friends your character makes, the more people can bail you out of trouble, trust me, they come in VERY handy at times.

Also, in order to make your map larger, once you press '5', you need to press 'R'. Your map can show you the entire layout of the game, or just the small area you are in.

The game can be very boring if all you do is drive around aimlessly looking for hidden diamonds. You cant buy much with less than 10 diamonds so you need to do missions that so far have paid up to 15.

You can get missions from Mikes Bar, faction bosses in the no fire zone, and the radio towers from some darth vader sounding guy on the phone....he pays well.

For all of you that played for a few hours and racked it, go back and play it again. It is a mission based game with objectives. If you are just looking for a free for all shoot em up fast paced game, then of course this is not a game for you.

For all of you that played for a few hours and racked it, go back and play it again. It is a mission based game with objectives. If you are just looking for a free for all shoot em up fast paced game, then of course this is not a game for you.

I think if after 3 hours you are still not into it, you should definitely rack it. I think that goes with any game...it shouldn't have to take more than 3 hours of game play to get interesting.

I do like FPS single player but it seems like it's more difficult to find medium paced FPS in multiplayer!

edit: What is TF2?

FPS are becoming more and more about multiplayer. More games these days are too.

Don't mean to sound rude or any thing, but have you tired looking into some other type likes, RTS, RPG, MMORPG?

I think if after 3 hours you are still not into it, you should definitely rack it. I think that goes with any game...it shouldn't have to take more than 3 hours of game play to get interesting.

The only issue with that statement is that FarCry2, unlike most other games lets you do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it. Most people will just roam around without knowing what to do, therefore, boredom starts to set in.

No other game I can think of allows this. In a way, its almost like playing an online game like Warcraft or the older SWG... you can play and piddle around for hours or days and get very little accomplished, or you can dive in and start doing things. Just my opinion.

When I first started playing, I really wasnt sure what was going on besides some dude decided to let me live and now I have to kill him. After I fixed a car, hit up a safehouse, and hit the bar, I didnt know what to do next. I ended up taking the bus to a desert region, cleared another safehouse, then logged.

FPS are becoming more and more about multiplayer. More games these days are too.

Don't mean to sound rude or any thing, but have you tired looking into some other type likes, RTS, RPG, MMORPG?

Yeah I hear you on the MP part, and I don't see any problem with that. I was so used to playing the Delta Force series on PC, then Battlefield, then Battlefield Bad Company on PS3 (those were the games I was stuck on before I came to this forum and built me a real gaming pc). So I am very used to more open maps. But yeah since you ask if I have played a mix of the other genres, when I built the pc I got and really liked Red Alert 3, Warhammer 40k, Fallout 3, Red Alert 2, COD4+5, L4D.

The only issue with that statement is that FarCry2, unlike most other games lets you do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it. Most people will just roam around without knowing what to do, therefore, boredom starts to set in.

I did jobs from the bar, the communications tower, the arms dealer, bought guns, shot the guns, got pay days, went to alot of different places. It was just so repetative...it never grabbed me. Now, Fallout 3 sucked me in the minute I got into Megaton, didn't play another game until I beat it.

No other game I can think of allows this. In a way, its almost like playing an online game like Warcraft or the older SWG... you can play and piddle around for hours or days and get very little accomplished, or you can dive in and start doing things. Just my opinion.

When I first started playing, I really wasnt sure what was going on besides some dude decided to let me live and now I have to kill him. After I fixed a car, hit up a safehouse, and hit the bar, I didnt know what to do next. I ended up taking the bus to a desert region, cleared another safehouse, then logged.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, ever try the GTA3+ series? Theres one importance difference between it and Farcry 2, both are open ended games, but one has so much more to do.

In GTA4 for example, you can go bowling, play pool, a tetris like arcade game, play darts, go see a comedy, go buy properties, go be a vigilante for the police, become a taxi driver, ambulance driver, watch tv or listen to the many radio stations, take the train, etc etc

In Farcry 2 the only thing you can do is pretty much just kill respawning people and just collect diamonds to buy more weapons to do so. Possibly this has to do with settings ( Africa vs City ) but still, the design of Farcry 2s single player just screamed repition, and all the professional reviews say it.

GTA4 is the perfect example of how to do an open ended game right, and Farcry 2 is the perfect example of how not to do a open ended game right. They are critics of the GTA series out there ( yes I do believe they exist although theres so very few of them ), and you'll find all of their criticisms to be very weakly developed points. I'm sure glad the GTA series has sold ridiculous amounts of copies...oh and the story is superb when compared to the Farcry 2 story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom