Far Cry 3 with a GTX 590

kpat99

Baseband Member
I just upgraded to a 590 from a 580 and I've read all about the trouble people have been having playing far cry 3 with SLI set-ups. I see there are tutorials on how to fix it.

My question is, has the problem already been fixed with far cry 3 or nvidia updates in the last 4-5 months? The game seems to be running great for me...

Thanks

Kevin

If you google Far Cry 3 SLI you'll see all kinds of threads with people complaining...but happy to hear you haven't seen anything wrong.
Do you leave MSAA off? If not do you see much improvement with it on, and at what value?

Thanks

To Acerinpa, it was a trade...the 580 is gone :)

MSAA was at 8x and there wasn't much improvement over 4x. Since I could play it over 60fps I just left 8x on.

It doesn't surprise me there are problems. It appears that most users having problems are 600 series users. It's just a combination of drivers, cards, CPU, and PC setup.
A single 580 will run it just fine at 4x maxed @ 1080p. So even if you are having SLI problems you should be able to turn off SLI and still run it.

Another thing is I played the game without patches and whatever the latest beta drivers there were.

If I had a better RAD I would ask if you wanted to trade GPU setups lol.

I'm running at 2560 x 1600 so I need all the juice I can get. At MSAA 4x I get about 35 fps. Just not sure if its worth it or not... Without it I get 45-50

I'm downsampling 2560x1600, but a 590 will provide less umph than 2 actual 580s.

AA is worth it on Far Cry 3. IMO 8x wasn't enough as there were still jaggies on most of the foliage. I would use either GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU usage to make sure both are being run.
It could also help to rename the .exe for Far Cry to bf3.exe. That way there the game thinks it's BF3 and uses that SLI profile which I know maxes out both of my cards.

If this doesn't get the job done then you will need to OC those chips. Good luck, and don't pop the VRMs if you do that lol.

What does down sampling that resolution mean?

I regularly use afterburner, the game is definitely using both 580's, I do have the game set at max settings. In afterburner it shows 1200mb vram for each gpu, is it using 1200 total or 2400 total. Just confusing because it shows each gpu has 3072 available which obviously it doesn't.

Downsampling mean rendering the larger image and letting the GPU handling the scaling so it provides a clean image on my 1920x1200 panel. What this does is give you the image quality of 2560x1600 without the actual monitor real estate (or price). Seriously helps in jaggies but you need a good GPU setup to push that res.

The 590 is more like crippled 580s on a stick. Your stock clock is much lower than my stock clock on both GPU and RAM. So just to match the performance I'm getting you need to overclock the core to 772 and memory to 1536. I always keep my VRAM at 2200 though. SLI GPUs is always more powerful compared to its one card brother.

Yes it is showing wrong. The VRAM for both chips is mirrored so if it shows 1200 them you are using 1200 out of 1500 on both GPUs.

Back
Top Bottom