Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* I'll add myself to the hordes of dissapointed players.

I got Fallout 3 a few months ago, played it to death and loved every minute of it. Now I got the itch to play it again yesterday, now with the new DLC packs for added fun, and once installed as usual it CTD half way through the loading screen on starting a new game.

So I came here, checked some of the issues and implemented solutions (FFDShow added exceptions, rolled back my nvidia drivers, updated the .Net bits and bobs, disabled GFWL) and nothing seemed to work. So I put my drivers back up to the latest version and low and behold it worked.

The very next day I try to carry on from where I saved and now I'm back to the CTD on the loading screen. Something has updated itself automatically on my windows and screwed over all my best efforts.

Any thoughts?

Are you using any mods? I had an awful time because of some of them.

I've got Mothership Zeta and Point Lookout in. The crazy thing is not 5 minutes after I posted it decided to play all night with no bugs at all!

I've tried it again this morning. crash city.

Maybe mine is hooked up to the clock in some weird way?

My problem seems to be that when I select 'new game' from the main screen I cannot seem to get past the loading screen and it is really starting to annoy me. I really wanted fallout 3 and with this problem it's ruining the joy of it :( it keeps throwing me back to my desktop saying and 'error' has occured, tried to call bethesda, that doesn't seem to work so I was wondering if anyone could help me??

Have the same problem as Bhard (and many others).. The only solution for me was installing XP (x86) on a 20gig harddrive I had lying around. That was just a clean XP install + drivers and FF, nothing else, and had no problems... Still a bit annoing to dualboot just to play a game!

I had this issue in Vista 32, and now I upgraded (clean install) to Windows 7 (64), till the same problem; Crash when loading.

I read all the posts in this forum, did all "fixes", but no help.
The only thing I havent done, is install the latest patch for FO3...

EDIT:
I did install the patch, now I got another problem with "ordinal 5360" in xlive.dll

Nothing helped, xlive.dll was fixed with new install ow W. Live 3.0. But game still crashes...

I did find a fallout wiki site listing various bugs, Im gonna go trough all of them and see what happens...

Hello again, and sorry for spamming...:silly:

After my last comment, I did get the game running after updating the nVidia GF drivers, but what I didnt do was reboot the computer after the driver was installed and the game succesfully started, today a while later I rebooted by accident and hit the shut down button on the Win7 start menu. I only put my pc in standby when Im not using it... Do anybody know why this is happening?

Do I really have to update the graphics driver every time I reboot to play this game?!

Thanks.

I'll try to reinstall the same drivers again, and see what happens...

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Yes. I Have tried everything mentioned in this thread. However, Im able to play it if I dont reboot after I (re)install the graphics drivers.

It might clear some buffers or something like that when the driver is beeing installed, when the screen flicker a couple times. I have no problems with other games...

By reinstalling the driver (does not matter if it is older, newer or the same as already installed), it makes me belive it has something to do with the graphics part of the system thats causing trouble....

hey whats up, i just got fallout 3 the other day and i have installed it and all that jazz. I loaded up and got an error and i had a couple tries at it and gave up. the error im getting is C:\DOCUME~1\COMPAQ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\b15f_appcompat.txt and where the b15f is, i usualy get something different every time. When i load the game up it goes to quarter screen and just give me the error. i have tried everything that was stated in this but it has not worked. plz help me im dyin to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom