Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.
well --- i went to the saved games folder and deleted all but a few
of my saved games --- havent crashed since --- was to the point where would crash every 2 or 3 mins but all is well now

i have had same issue and running through steam my soulition was i removed the on board sound and installed my creative xfi all issues resolved. pity the fools on laptops:D

so now i have stopped crashing to desk top by installing creative xfi card and updating it running max on all settings and video on max eah4870x2 with 24" screen i had lockups issolated it to my logitech software uninstalled set point work awsome now no lock up no issues i hope this helps others:)

I need help.
I can't even start the game.. I open fallout 3.. screen goes black for a couple of secs, then the window with "Fallout 3 has stopped working.." appears.. , and I've tried "everything"..
Reinstalled 3 times,
done the ffdshow thiny,
tried various cracks, etc..

Only thing I haven't done is probably reformatting my system. But I cant be arsed.

Here's the errorlog..
Haven't found the same error code anywhere regarding fallout 3.

Imageshack - errormessageh

Rig:
Intel quad core Q8200, 2.33 GHz.
8 GB RAM.
64bit Windows 7.
Geforce GTX260.

Make sure you configure the resolution first to your monitor's native resolution. Was doing this on my friend's PC too, and I couldn't get it set right with compatibility mode, running as admin, etc etc. Ended up remembering I needed to set the resolution/other graphics stuff up in the setup portion of the Fallout 3 splash screen; did that and it ran fine without a problem.

If that doesn't work, then make sure you're patched to the latest version, run in compatibility mode for Vista or XP, and make sure to run as admin. May have to go into the Program Files (x86) directory for Fallout and do it on the fallout3.exe as well as the launcher.

I've tried different things like installing new G4WL, and swapping the xlive.dll file etc,
and managed to make the errorlogs go away.
But the game still crashes on startup, but without any message like "Fallout 3 has stopped working."
I enter Fallout 3, screen goes black, then *BLINK*, desktop appears..
Same thing happened when using the launcher.
This doesn't generate any entries with error or warning status. Only some crap with no useful info in it with source "Windows Error Reporting"

But now I got a new problem.. I can't seem to install Fallout 3 properly.
I uninstall it properly through add/remove programs, and then reinstall it like normal.
But when I try to open the game, it just shows the launcher as if the game wasn't installed..
The launcher says Install, Options(greyed out), Data Files(greyed out), Tech Support, and Exit..

It's as if the installer fails to write to the registry or something.. In that case, i managed to f*ck it up somehow.
Any help is appreciated.

I play Oblivion just fine without any crashes whatsoever.

I've tried using the registry fix pasted on this page
Fallout 3 reg files needed - Mininova
But to no avail.
Yes I did swap the bold text for my actual install folder etc.
I presume there aren't any differences in the registry structure between Vista and Win 7... ?

Edit: Just downloaded Fallout3 through Steam. Same exact thing happens..
No error message or anything. I try to open the game and the screen goes black for 1 sec, then back to windows.. not even an entry in event viewer.
About to give up this sh!t.

Like most of you I'm in the same boat, this game seems ridiculously picky about anything and everything.

It would crash every 10 minutes on my computer with new video drivers.

I uninstalled them and put the ones that came on the disk on, and it lasted about 20 minutes max at a time.

I did the no page file tweak, and now I average about an hour play time before it crashes...The game just goes the the desktop "Error 0x00000" etc etc. It's always NTDLL.DLL in the event log that is the problem. The music and sounds keep playing in the game even though it crashes and keeps playing till I terminate the program.

I don't know at this point if there's just an audio problem left or not but I've gotten this far and can play that long...there has to be another step even to get myself 2 hours at a time haha.

Hello People, I need help.
Every 2 or so minutes I play the game it suddenly crashes to desktop and my colors and settings are damaged, especially the colors are horrible you cant even look at it and my screen resolution switches back 640 x 480. I tryied reinstalling the game, Net Framwork or drivers, but nithing is helping.

Everything was fine, the game was running without issues until, last day, I installed the copy of LOTRO and from then this happens. The problem also affects other games like Age of Empires 3 or STALKER. Please help, I am desperate.
thanks

Have you tried uninstalling your graphics driver and then reinstalling it?

Uninstall your current driver via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Restart into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper to remove any remnants left behind. Reboot back into Windows. Install your graphics driver's newest version.

Ok I ll try that, and how do I enter Safe Mode please?

EDIT: Ok I did it, I reinstalled the driver they way you described. Now the game runs a little longer, but whenever I try to speak to someone or use anything it just crashes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom