Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't you download it from NMS's site and install it via the instructions listed.

Howdy Brethren,

OK, read the 5 pages here, and noted every aspect of people's experiences, and I applaud all the hard work and sympathize with the sore hair follicles. I was doing just fine until I added another video card in to SLI. One, seems I have to restart the PC about 3 times before it will post... sometimes right away it works, but that seems livable. What I don't understand is why is Fallout 3 SLOWER in SLI, and is now simply unplayable. I have the E8500 NO OC, 8800GT 512 in SLI, which will heat the house, and 2 stix of 2GB PNY 6400 Rammy. Oh, and Windows XP Pro. I hate Vista. (Don't EVER tell me I'm not the @#%#ing ADMINISTRATOR).

Ok, 3 leaks at Megaton repaired. Since I have installed the second video card and linked them with the SLI Bridge (ribbon connector cable), Fallout 3 seems to have a mind of it's own. I don't know how or why, but I sometimes get an SLI "meter" on the left side in green... ?? And now I just don't.

About the "mind of it's own": No matter what I set the video options to in the game, I still notice that everything is like in SUPER HD and very very clear and crisp... and runs at 1 FRAME PER SECOND. I've used ALL of the Nvidia drivers from 3+ years ago, and seems to work for a minute, until strange stuff happens to the entire environment. The ground goes purple, the sky goes melted letters and characters, and then freezes; I have to UNPLUG it to kill it.

Sure, I've tried killing processes, disabling the AV (as much as possible), and killing the searchindexers, et. al. So sometimes it works for a minute, until I go outside anywhere. Then gets really slow. I've uninstalled FO3, reinstalled to a fresh directory, and even uninstalled and reinstalled all the Framework. No change. I have identical video cards, and it is a Dell XPS 630i Machine. 1KW PSU.

I miss my Fallout 3. Can someone help? I didn't find anything about the Beta 3 Framework. I did the thingy in (dxdiag), and no matter what I do to make changes INSIDE the game's video settings, nothing seems to change. Oh yea, and Windows Live automatically updated it to 1.4.

I will keep this tab live and active in browser. ANY help will be appreciated. GREAT help will be HIGHLY appreciated... and praised.

Also, I have found ALL of the patrons here to be far more intelligent than say.... OC's websites! Thanks for stating problems and answers rather than chatter.

Rootfire

Are you running any mods? Turns out that was my problem. I haven't gone through to see exactly which it was, but once I removed them everything runs fine.

Hay if any one has any ideas please...

Im playing fallout 3 i got a little ways in the game when it just starts to freez and then crash, it started in tranquility lanes were you run around as the pint size slasher.. i got around it by doing the good carma way then it started to freeze and crash when i was heading to vault 87... i tryd changing my virtual page mem that did work till i got to paradise falls and saved the two kids in slavery then it crashes and continues to crash when i try loading my continue game it c5ashes before showing my character.. so i uninstalled it and reinstalled it... still crashes, i down loaded the patch, that didn't work either.. i don't have that fddshow... so its not that..

E6400
8600gt graphics
4gb mem stick kingston
windows xp..

any ideas please.. thnx...

I've tried quite a few of these suggestions, but they only work for a short period of time. Most of these have allowed for a good 15-30 minutes of game play, but the crashes and freezes always return. I've found that using the game in windowed mode allows me to at least alt-tab out of the game when it inevitably freezes.

At this point, I'm just trying to get my computer to the way it was before I installed Fallout 3. After doing this, I hope to reinstall the game and have it work like it did when I got it in November. There are a few problems that I have run into: I could not seem to uninstall the .Net 3.0 sp2 normally, however, when I downloaded a removal tool from Microsoft to do just that, it says that .Net 3.0 sp2 is not even installed; I cannot locate where the DRM has been placed on my system, and thus I cannot remove it; I am still trying to figure out why Live started to come up after playing the game (it had never started up before and it seems to be related to the start of crashes), and I do not want to reinstall before I can figure that out. Any suggestions as to how I might go about finding solutions to these problems would be enormously appreciated. I've just about given up hope on this fantastic game.

One hypothesis is that, when I installed GTA IV (with it's heavy use of LIVE), it triggered Fallout 3 to start manifesting Live in its game play. I had not played Fallout 3 while playing GTA IV, but I had played it before hand, and it never crashed before. I still have GTA IV installed.

Re: Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - more solutions

I was having a similar issue of CTD after re-installing Vista 64, and I was getting CTD upon any time loading a save, or a new game. HOw I solved is this:

First, it is Good to make sure you are up to date with drivers, ( I know, its said in a million other posts, but it bears repeating).

I do believe that dxdiags is ok, but often only give clues, and NOT spicifics as to why App Crashes occur.

( Please make sure you system is up to specs with game requirements first).

My first steps often is to look in the Windows Log Files. Many times it allows you to more quickly find the exact point or problem loading the game.

Start - Control Panel - Administrative tools - Event Viewer - Then go to The Error Tab

Scroll down the errors entries till you find the Application Errors. Click on those, and paste them if you need to! often times it may tell you what module it was loading that threw out the Error! ( See much faster than guessing with dxdiags).

If it lists an offending file, this may tell you what is going on that is wrong.. for example, in a previous one, AC3Filter.dll ( for the Codec Packs).
- I find this the fastest way to find the potential problem, but it doesn't solve all issues. *( for example, my case)*

In my case, it was just throwing up the error in Fallout3.exe and no other references... So I was a bit stuck.

- What did fix it for me was... For the **** of it, ( and a post in another message, i uninstalled Asus gamer OSD. )

- I then went and installed the "Latest" Creative Labs files for my X FI.
*( I know this falls under drivers, but technically, I had the latest)
I installed the BETA Driver for my Xfi, and for the **** of it, there were some slight newer versions of the Volume panel, and Alchemy ( though not drivers).

And bingo, that fixed the issue.

- I suspect it was the sound driver, but I can not say for absolute sure. But at least its working now.

* Please note: I had a similar issue with Oblivion, but in that case, it was codec Pack, I installed, that was halting the game, but again, it was clear as day, in the error Log.
So, I looked for that first in this issue.

I hope this helps. (* I often go to the manufacturer for drivers for onboard sound cars, since they can often be much, much newer than on the Motherboards pages ) .

Before anyone asks, My system specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom 2, 3.0 gig quad core
8 gig ddr2 G.Skill 1066 memory
Asus M3a79-T mobo
Vista Home prem. 64.
UAC OFF

Asus 4870x 2 video card
1 1tb hdd
1 1.5 tb hdd
2 320 hdd.
Creative XFI
Merc Zboard.
Blue Ray DVD drive.

Just a quick comment rootfire, you can TURN OFF UAC, and no more nags, nor admin worries, and takes only once second to do? So ? Whats the problem there?

but for your issues, it sounds to me like either a Chipset driver issue, or the PCI Express Slot timing issue? Is the Bus running at its normal speed? Do you install the latest Chipset drivers for your MB chipset?

Are you OVerclocking at all? ( This can throw off the pci e bus timings) .

What interrupts are they on? Or sharing? ( Too many thrown interrupts can humble any bus)?

Also, I may be crazy, but, I thought I recall it being said, that Vista was required for full support of SLI?

*( ****, I have even managed to get DOS games to run on vista 64, so I have no idea where people get the "Problems" vista has?) .

fallout 3 = fail. this is on a fresh copy of win xp, completely updated everything.

every other game i play is fine, except for fallout 3; it crashes every 1-30 minutes (except miraculously, ONE time, i played for an hour and actually got to hit the 'exit game' button since it didnt crash).

ive done so much i cant even remember it all.

4870 512mb newest drivers
disabled agp acceleration
installed klite full (selected fallout3.exe as an exception)
updated my xfi as much as i could
uninstalled my onboard audio
added lines for threading in the .ini
added lines for my mouse in the .ini
installed no mods
lowered my graphic settings (no aa, 0x af, medium, high, etc)
uninstalled games for windows live (and has to reinstall it)
checked the framework crap
updated the game to 1.5
...cant remember what else...

this game isnt even that good, but its all i have to play right now (whose the retard that programmed the camera work for the VATS system?) :(

any suggestions?

temps arent a problem: gpu never goes over 44C and cpu is at 35C.

i usually get ctd, but occasionally itll just freeze. and once randomly, for 5 seconds, i had 2 large black squares pop up. i targets a raider with VATS and they never returned.

any freaking clue? (good luck)

Man I'm so glad I found this thread! I usually google up any software or game I want to buy these days before I buy it.

I saw the demo of FO3 at Games Center and the dude was telling me how awesome it was. I almost bought it right then -- but I'm glad I didn't! There must be thousands of complaints out there on the web.

I came here because of the title "CTD solution here" but there seems to be so many other problems that I think I'm going to stay away from this one -- at least for a while until maybe it matures and all the bugs are worked out and so on.

And anyway, I just have your average game PC (P4 3Ghz-Nv9600GTX-2GB RAM -- runs Crysis 1&2 and FarCry 1&2 with no probs though) and I can't afford any kind of monster game machine with SLI and all that. Sounds like some of you guys have spent many weeks trying to sort this game out but I don't have that kind of time. To me, if it doesn't run properly with not too much fuss right out of the box then forget it.

Too bad though - sounds like it could be a killer game but it sounds like you need to dedicate a specially tweaked PC just to run it and is any game worth that investment?

Cheers Bros,
Frank

definitely worth the investment. It can't cost more than $30 retail now. FO3 is the best game I have played this year no doubt. It worked with me right out of the "box" no problems..I vote you should try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom