Fallout 3-- ATI Gpu owners!! Take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkim113

Baseband Member
i own a MSI ATI r4850 series. Its a pretty good card as you might know. But unfortunately, my card doesnt seem to be doing well with Fallout 3 and i was curious if others were having the same problems.

For its relatively low "recommended spec requirements", the game seems to have a bit of frame rate problem with me, or so it seems. Fraps is telling me that fallout 3 is running on a consistant rate of high fps, lowest fps deeping at about 54. But on screen it looks rather laggy- units and buildings dont move smoothly, it feels rather choppy.

The biggest blemish i noticed is this, even if lets say i turned my graphic settings to lowest possible, ive noticed that the protruding corners of walls and items seem to shake on screen as if the building was being felt by an earthquake

my specs for my cpu and ram are fine; intel core 2 duo 3ghz, 4 gb of 800mhz ram etc, good stuff. I think whats causing these little hiccups that bothers me a bit is the fact that fallout 3 was made with nVidia in mind.

So all you ATI gpu owners out there, how has fallout 3 been like for you?

I am currently running FO3 on an old x1800xt 256mb (along with my 2.8 AMD x2 and 2 gigs of RAM) and have not experienced any drops in frame rates. I have not run FRAPS or anything similar to know my actual frames, but I do know it has been constantly smooth. I can only imagine when my 3870 come back from RMA replacement my experience will only get better. My guess is there is something with the series drivers that is causing the fluke? When was the last time you updated (since ATI updates drivers at least every month now).

i own a MSI ATI r4850 series. Its a pretty good card as you might know. But unfortunately, my card doesnt seem to be doing well with Fallout 3 and i was curious if others were having the same problems.

For its relatively low "recommended spec requirements", the game seems to have a bit of frame rate problem with me, or so it seems. Fraps is telling me that fallout 3 is running on a consistant rate of high fps, lowest fps deeping at about 54. But on screen it looks rather laggy- units and buildings dont move smoothly, it feels rather choppy.

The biggest blemish i noticed is this, even if lets say i turned my graphic settings to lowest possible, ive noticed that the protruding corners of walls and items seem to shake on screen as if the building was being felt by an earthquake

my specs for my cpu and ram are fine; intel core 2 duo 3ghz, 4 gb of 800mhz ram etc, good stuff. I think whats causing these little hiccups that bothers me a bit is the fact that fallout 3 was made with nVidia in mind.

So all you ATI gpu owners out there, how has fallout 3 been like for you?
fall out 3 is created using the oblivion engien which was originaly developed with ati in mind, this is a well known fact, fall out is based on the exact same engine btu optimized now, the only diference is if it does say the way its meant to be played nvidia it would mean nvidia just payed them to slap there logo on, other then that the oblivion/fall out 3 engine is supose to be ati based. alltho nvidia has always performed better in it none the less.

I cranked AA down to 2 and been running it maxed out. I havent checked my FPS though. I hate fraps so I prefer not to use it. Especially since FO3 at high res is rather hard to run. I have an easier time with crysis lol. So anything that takes resources gets shut off if i don't need it.

I'll install it to check my frames I guess, since I can't seem to find a console command in FO3 for it.
I know what you mean but not looking smooth though. Not having motion blur contributes a bit i think, because you need to run it at a consistantly higher FPS to get the same smoothness feeling from it.
I've noticed a flicker every now and again, but I think thats just the 4870x2 curse.

Anyow I'll report back on wether or not I have high fps and it's stuttering.

Also, i've put quite a few hours into it in the last couple days, and I've only seen a couple minor bugs. I'm pretty impressed with bethseda so far.

I get it tommorow, ive got a 4870 so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. The game any good ?

It's awesome. best I've played in a while. Can get pretty hard at times too. Ammo isn't exactly in high supply, and if you wander a bit too far like I tend to you run into some seriously hard mobs, and end up blowing it all lol.
Def worth the money IMO.

I was experiencing the same thing the other day on my 4850 in CS:S, frame rates weren't actually horrible, everything was just choppy and at times it seemed like i was getting like 4 fps! Even though GamerOSD said the lowest i was going was 50 or so...

My problems disappeared the next morning and things have been working fine... I cant give you an explanation for the problem at all! Ive got the same sorta specs too: Q5550 @ factory settings, Asus 4850 @ 730MHz and 4gb of 1066 ram. I only have one suspicion for mine and that is i only have one power point in my room and have two "4x multi adapters" connected to that point, running a whole lot of crap off them. Maybe my computer wasn't getting enough power?

I checked. It's constantly at the vsynch 60fps cap.

I've figured the game is really bad at handling dips in fps. Dropping from 60 to 53 causes a small stutter, or choppiness as you put it.

dropping from 60 to 53 shouldn't even be noticable by all means.

it's just the engine I guess.

dropping from 60 to 50fps in FO3 is the equivilant of dropping from like 30 to 20 in crysis.

it only hiccups for a second or so, but it's a bit irritating.

Also i've notice there isn't any reason for the fps drop lol. I'll be sitting on one spot not moving, and it'll sometimes drop by 5-10fps, nothing happening.

meh no biggie

I don't want to start a ati vs nvidia war or anything and admit ati has better price/performance value, but please tell me I'm wrong if I am in this observation, but it seems like ATI has a lot of problems with their drivers concerning games in comparison to Nvidia...

( last ATI card I had was the great x800 xl )

Gabb, this is true. But purely because devs revolve there game around nVidia. nVidia has a bigger market share by a long shot than ATI. That'll change soon though, i reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom