F.e.a.r Questions. Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
So, I'm downloading the FEAR demo as we speak and I want to see what my computer is capable of. Now, everytime I play games I always leave the default settings on(ironic, since I bought an expensive gaming pc). So now I want to see what this baby can do. I want to know what settings to put in(AA, AF, all that stuff) so that the demo looks as good as it possibly can and I get MEDIUM to GREAT frames per second. Please help me out. I've never changed any of the AA, AF, etc. settings so I have no idea how to do this. This would be my first time. I'd like to play at 800x600 or 1027x768 resolution. Below are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
512mb Kingston DDR Ram
128 MB Radeon 9800 PRO video card
160GB Maxtor Sata Hard Drive
DSL Highspeed internet connection
420 watt Orion PowerSupply
2 case sleeve fans
NEC LCD1712 display at 60hertz. Has a maximum of 75 hertz

Thank you!

Oh, and also the demo wants to automatically instal Direct X9.0 even though I already have Direct X 9.0. Will installing it even though I already have it cause any errors?

Oh, and also the demo wants to automatically instal Direct X9.0 even though I already have Direct X 9.0. Will installing it even though I already have it cause any errors?
no, but unless it's a newer version of DX I don't bother installing what the game comes with.

Your system, in terms of running FEAR, isn't all that powerful.

The 512mb of RAM will be eaten alive in this game...it is a RAM freakin hog....your video card, although good for it's time, is starting to really slack in these newer games especially since you have 128mb of VRAM.

The game does a fairly good job of recognizing your settings though...I'd DEFINITELY make sure soft shadows are disabled for you....AF...no more than 4x AF, and as for AA....well....to be honest I don't think you'll really be able to add even 2x AA...perhaps if you run it at 800x600 resolution you can, but that resolution sucks so much you might as well run 1024x768 with no AA on.

Expect 800x600 with a combination of low and medium settings. This game doesn't like ATI cards as well as it does Nvidia, and since your ATI card is two generations old...well yeah... Believe it or not, this game even taxes Nvidia's latest and greatest 7800GTX....and it takes at least a 6800GT to play it at full settings with at least 2x AA. I have an X800 Pro and it does a horrible job at FEAR, and I haven't been able to get anywhere close to good peformance on max. I play at 1024x768, medium on about everything, no AA or AF. It may not look the greatest, but at least it plays.

I see. So 1024x767. No soft shadows. No AA. And 2x AF? Sounds good, how would I go about changing does AA and AF settings? Is there an ingame options menu or..? Also, does monitor hertz matter in this case? It's currently at 60hz

Also, Nubius, the game installed Direct X automatically. If I didnt choose yes to "Install Direct x 9" it wouldn't install the demo.

I just finished playing the demo. My god, it flickered, it lagged, etc. I'm currently playing it at 1024x768 and both computer and videocard are at medium. It was nearly unplayable, is this normal? Since I dont know how to change any AF or AA settings I'm assuming they're off. Still playing at 60hz btw. Could the monitor flicking be due to it being an LCD monitor? Everytime I play a game or something it flickers. Don't know if it's normal, if it's because it's an lcd, videocard, etc. Any help would be appreciated..

Also, is there any way to check the fps your gettin in-game?

Yeah, that is expected. I have an X800 Pro and I can barely play those settings. You are going to have to lower yourself to 800x600 and have your texture resolution on low.

beedubaya said:
Yeah, that is expected. I have an X800 Pro and I can barely play those settings. You are going to have to lower yourself to 800x600 and have your texture resolution on low.

Beedubaya, have you checked out mys pictures in the other FEAR thread? I can play the game just fine on high without soft shadows.

Here they are

Oh, I took somes screenshots-

Test 1-No soft shadows
test11vl.th.jpg

58 FPS

Test 2-Same place, but with soft shadows

test20ct.th.jpg

30FPS

Right. Anyway, so you guys are suggesting I play at 800x600. No AA No AF and have both the computer and graphic options in game at low?

Experiment for yourself. Try messing around with the settings until you get what you like. Though I wouldn't bother turning on soft shadows. it took like 30FPS from my game.

I know, you showed us the pics quite a few times. Anyway, I just want to know peoples opinions on the matter. As well as on some of the problems mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom