Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion running painstakingly slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkymonk95

Beta member
I bought 'Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion' recently, installed it onto my computer, everything was fine. Then i tried to play it and it was unplayable every movement is jerky etc.

I checked my system and realised i had only 256mb of RAM. I put another Gig in and it still plays just as bad.

I tried it on other computers and it wouldnt even install etc.

Specs.

Intel Petium 4 CPU. 3.00GHz
3.00GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM.

I think my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 5500. I'm told its a 256MB card (I lost the box!). But it's probably a 128MB.

Help would be appreciated.

my email is Alkaline_trio_guy@hotmail.co.uk, if u want to email me.

Thanks

Wait. I found the box, its a:

FORSA 256 MB DDR
GeForce FX 5500

im sure you could find it on the internet if you need more details.
Sorry for misleading you before!

Is that still out of date then?

Ugh the memory confuses a lot of people, memory does not dictate how good a video card is, though it contributes. A 9800 pro with 128 mb of memory will dominate a 512 mb x300, I think they just throw on tons of memory to confuse people sometimes. Yes that video card is old, even when it was new it wasnt really a gaming card. If you want to play oblivion you should at least have a 6600gt or better.

Heres what I reccomend, if you actually want to shill out some cash then do some research on how video cards work then pick out a good one.

If not then google oldblivion and install it, it might help some.

If you have a pci slot, you're stuck with that videocard, if you have agp, you're fine, pick up atleast a 9600xt, my friend plays it oblivion fine with gfx card. Then in this order 6600 6600gt 6800 6800gs 7800gs.

For Oblivion you need 2 7900GT SLI or a 7900GTX if you want to play high settings w/HDR. For decent playability on medium, get yourself anything from the 6800GS/7600GT to 7800GT range. Yesterday's card doesn't cut it for this game.

BioT3ch said:
For Oblivion you need 2 7900GT SLI or a 7900GTX if you want to play high settings w/HDR. For decent playability on medium, get yourself anything from the 6800GS/7600GT to 7800GT range. Yesterday's card doesn't cut it for this game.

If by high settings your mean AA and a high res then yes, otherwise you can max everything else and play smooth on a 7800GT

MrCoffee said:
If by high settings your mean AA and a high res then yes, otherwise you can max everything else and play smooth on a 7800GT

I'm referring to playing at 1280x1024 or higher with HDR, you can't use AA and HDR in Oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom