Dune MMORPG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the movie was weird, it was just bad. They later made a 4.5 hour mini-series that was WAY better. You can buy it for like $10, you should check it out. I'd play a Dune MMORPG in a second, might even drop WoW if it's good enough. It's almost a perfect universe to set one in if it's done right.
Read the book if you don't know what Dune is. Everyone should read it.

"Who ever controls the spice, controls the universe"

Obtruse_Man4 said:
What is dune?

Here is the Offical Dune Website .

In a nutshell, it the year 5000 some thing. You have the Galactic Empire, House Harkonnen, House Atreides, Spacers Guild. And they are all fighting over the planet Aracus.
The plannet Aracus (aka DUNE) has this thing call SPICE. Spice allows you to fold space. Thefore control commerce And "Who ever controls the spice, controls the universe"

So far they have done movie for DUNE and a HALLMARK TV Series. This cover DUNE. The Hallmark TV series was pretty awful. About the only good thing about it was that it covered a LOT that was not cover in the orginal version of the movie. However they have released the movie uncut.
Hallmark did follow up DUNE with Children Of Dune. It's actually quite watchable compared with the the first Hallmark Series.

There is talk of GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE being produced at a Hallmark series.

The only problem is that Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune and even of the other books do repeat itself in it's events.

As for a DUNE MMOLRPG...... that would be interesting. You could have a lot of factions.
House Atreides
House Harkonnen
House Corrino (Empire)
Spacers Guild

Few of the races would include
Fremem
Human
Mentat
Bennesusate

Depending on Race and House, you would have various advantages and disavantages.

Personally I would have the game set in the time period of Children Of Dune.
House Atreides would be in power as they control Dune.
House Harkonnen has been beaten, but they are not out.
Empire and Spacers Guild are doing what ever they can in get their hands on Dune again.
Plus there is the problem with Fremem as they would like to overthow Atreides, and Paul Atreides as brough more pain than good to the planet of Dune.

jorsoft03 said:
I don't think the movie was weird, it was just bad. They later made a 4.5 hour mini-series that was WAY better.
Story wise it was better. However acting, set design and especially the costume terrible. They must of hired the person that did Fifth Element for the costumes for that.

However the second series Children Of Dune did make up for this.

KiDrIoT69 said:
I would never play a Dune MMO because...i dont know, its a wierd movie.
Is some thing that you need to sit down a watch.

It took me a quite a few times in order to understand what was really going on in that film.

Man, if they did put in a DUNE MMORPG, sign me up on a Role Play Server any day.

Over all, if they did some thing like that, I would like to see it as a skill / profession system simulare to SWG.
I would feel that Benjerates would be some high demand and difficult profession to master.

Harkonnen would be stronger
Atreides would be quicker
Corrino would have a political advantage
Fremem would have survival advantage

septoid2 said:
Omg yes Harper, a fellow Dune fanatic =)
So far a lot of my DUNE knowledge as been from the movie or 2 Hallmark Series. Plus a few things here and there.

One of these days, I will get around to reading to books. Or least the books that Hurbert did.

True, Harper, the acting in the mini-series wasn't that great, in addition to being prettty miscast (especially Duke Leto for obvious reasons). I just liked that it covered about 3 times as much stuff as the 80's movie. That one didn't impress me too much, although I've never watched the uncut version. Frank Herbert himself didn't really like the theatrical release. He was pushing for a 3-4 hour movie, but the producers and executives shot that idea down.
That said, all of Herbert's Dune books are excellent. his son also wrote several prequels, which are also very good and provide excellent back-story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom