Downloaded HL2 off steam crashes when I try to load it

Status
Not open for further replies.

crud_tud

Baseband Member
I purchased HL2 off steam and downloaded the files without issue. But when I try to play my system stalls. I hit ctr-alt-del and see that it is not responding. My system is a new build that plays the Doom 3 demo no problem at 1600x1200 on high detail, so there's no problem there. Any ideas?

crud_tud said:
I purchased HL2 off steam and downloaded the files without issue. But when I try to play my system stalls. I hit ctr-alt-del and see that it is not responding. My system is a new build that plays the Doom 3 demo no problem at 1600x1200 on high detail, so there's no problem there. Any ideas?

Uninstall and Reinstall HL2.

Get the latest video card drivers. Although I am not using the current drivers on my main machine, and i am happly playing.

Hard drive space? Do you have enough?

I did now that I had a problem once where one of my HL2 autosaves would crash the game back into windows. I was able to get around that by loading a prevous save.

all my drivers are current as of two days ago. my system is a 2.8Ghz prescott P4 with 512mb ddr400 ram, a 6600gt video card and 80gb hard drive. other than throwing in some more memory for faster load times, my system should handle HL2 no sweat.

nonetheless, my system has a LOT of problems with it. Since my original post I have been able to run the game, but there have NUMEROUS crashes and load times exceeding 5 minutes. Maybe I need to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom