doom 3 wont run right on my system. please read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

burned-ati

Banned
my computer i built has 512 memory running at 333mhz and 1.83 ghz athlon 2500+ runnin at 333 fsb and i got a ati radeon 9500 pro 277 core 540 memory with a giant cooler on it.but for some reason when i play doom 3 it runs smooth. no mouse lag or choppy.bounce glitchy it all in it. but when i like open a door the game will hang for like 1 second or when i go through a hall way in to a new room. it will pause for maybe 2 secs then work again. at first i was thinking my system just cant handle this game but on low quality 640/480 its the same doesnt improve. it still hangs goin through a door. is it my memory timing?

First off, Doom 3 is a very hardware-demanding game. A 9500 Pro simply won't cut it at higher settings. Play on the lowest settings, with no Anti-Aliasing and Vsync OFF and see how it goes. If you're talking about the shortest pause here, it could be a whole number of things...

Have you got the latest Catalyst drivers installed? DirectX 9.0c? All your other drivers?

same thing happens on my system, but thats because I run it at ultra specs, 1280x1024aa, 2x AA and am on a socket A system, but it's exactly right at the doors opening, memory bandwidth just isn't enough considering the specs.

Your system overall isn't powerful enough for the settings you have kind of like mine, its pretty much smooth once I'm in a room but it just lags at a door, you'd probably need to knock your settings back a little more, but meh I can live with that bit of lag considering the looks :p

i run it at about the same as nubius with some framerate issues. Doom 3 is a real beast in terms of requirements

yeah it sure is, that thing uses memory like a hog, that's why it even says that Ultra requires a 512mb card, I have a 256mb card and AGP aperture set to 256mb, but that's still not the same as a 512mb card especially considering doom3 uses a lot of RAM on it's own without factoring in having to use even more for the images

Doom 3 doesn't like ATI cards very well. If you have an ATI card, you can count out having a problem-free Doom 3 experience. I hope the R520 does better with this engine than the current cards do.

Nubius...I don't know what your problem could be in Doom 3...your system should run it perfect. I get major framerate issues myself, but I never have that pause after opening doors people complain about.

It's just because of my low memory bandwidth due to a socket A system....the graphics card can technically handle Ultra, but Ultra is really meant for 512mb cards, and since Doom3 uses quite a bit of memory as it is, when it then has to use another 256mb of system memory due to the aperture then it has those slight pauses.....once I get a venice going it'll smooth out

beedubaya said:
Doom 3 doesn't like ATI cards very well. If you have an ATI card, you can count out having a problem-free Doom 3 experience. I hope the R520 does better with this engine than the current cards do.

I actually can run the game flawlessy...until i try to crank up to 2xAA or 4xAA. High rez and high details. Its the AA that reallly destroys ATIs perfomance in this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom