Doom 3 | What Should I Expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a massive Doom fan; played the original to death... absolutely THE greatest video game ever made, ever. And I was certianly not dissapointed with Doom 3. Loved every minute of it. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays great.

The only negative thing I'd have to say, as others already have, is that you need a beast of a system to run the game.

You can run FarCry fine on a fx5200?
On low settings i'm sure.
My radeon 9600 struggled when i upped the detail.

I have the Default settings on Doom 3, not sure what they are...I should change them to a lower quality setting, maybe it wont lag then?

Yea i would.
Because u have a 256m card i expect doom3 defaults u at high settings as it did with my old radeon 9600 256mb and at that setting it ran like a bag of nails!
U need to mess around with the settings till u find one that will play smooth for u.

Just because your vga card has 256 mb doesn't mean all of them can be ran at high quality. a x800 256 and a 9600 256 aren't the same :p

just like the 5200 256mb and the 6800 256mb lol. you can't even compare those two you know...

geo3tech said:
Just because your vga card has 256 mb doesn't mean all of them can be ran at high quality. a x800 256 and a 9600 256 aren't the same :p

just like the 5200 256mb and the 6800 256mb lol. you can't even compare those two you know...

Yea i know that, go read my post again!

Doom3's auto-detect settings are based on the amount of video RAM it finds so ANY 256mb card will be defaulted at high settings. whether, as u say, it's a 5200 or a 6800. Or as in my case my old 9600 256mb.

I now have a 5900xt which is loads better in every respect yet because it 'only' has 128mb RAM doom3 defaults to medium settings.

My advice would be to totally ignore the autodetect settings and just start at the lowest settings and work ur way up till u find one that suits u and ur card:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom