Doom 3 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half the amount of VRAM you have is the general opinion, although you're right in that it doesn't much of a difference in performance.

The point is a decent card with a 256MB frame buffer will play Doom 3 @ Ultra Quality just fine.

Does Ultra setting make the resolution higher as well as the graphics? Because I can run it at Ultra setting at 1024x768 on my 6600GT. Obviously I can't max the resolution.

Counter-Strike said:
About that Nubius, they say to set your aperature to the RAM of your card, is that true? Like some 128MB cards have 64MB apertures, should you bump them up to 128?

If you have a 256MB card, than set the aperature to 256MB so it can use all 256MB. From what I've been led to believe, if you have it set to 1288 and have a 256 card, it will only allow usage of 128MB of that card, therefore not using it to it's fullest potential. But like I said, thats what I've been led to believe, and half the amount of VRam could be correct (although that really dosent make too much sense to me) but I've always set mine to the amount of my card and it works just fine.

I've also been doing some reading on Ultra mode. My buddy, who has a 128MB Radeon 9600 or 9800 (not sure which) and he plays Doom3 on ultra with nearly no lag at all. There is the alomost inevitable lag though when there are a million monsters all f*cking you up at the same time though.

From what I was reading over at Toms Hardware (cant find the article again) is that in Ultra mode, in each frame there is 500+MB of textures and, as we all know, you cannot fit 500+MB on a 256MB or less card without some sort of compression. The difference between Ultra and all the other settings is that there is no compression on Ultra, but there is on every other setting, starting with 256MB (being the least compression) and just compressing mre and more as you go down. Compression leads to lag and poorer quality (but not much) which is why Ultra is Ultra. Why people can run it with a 128MB card or a 256MB card when the above is suppose to be the reasoning behind Ultra, I dont know. I'm thinking that perhaps the game knows when you set it to Ultra and your computer cannot handle it and reverts to a lower setting in gameplay. But in the menus, since they are nothing, it goes on ultra. Who knows, certainly not me. :p

I think id might have said 512 MB of mem because of Nvidia. The game was optimzed for Nvidia, and i believe it might also have been sponsored by Nvidia. Nvidia was the first to come out with 512MB cards. Anybody see a connection here...?

If you have a 256MB card, than set the aperature to 256MB so it can use all 256MB. From what I've been led to believe, if you have it set to 1288 and have a 256 card, it will only allow usage of 128MB of that card, therefore not using it to it's fullest potential.
No....as I said earlier...the AGP Aperture is what dictates to your system how much system RAM to use once the VRAM is used up.....the AGP Aperture has nothing to do with setting the amount of VRAM to allow your card to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom