Doom 3 Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, that mod makes the lighting much more realistic! I also received a patch with my sound card that gives the game X-Fi support. With these two things it seems like it'd be a relatively new experience.

Yea, that mod makes the lighting much more realistic! I also received a patch with my sound card that gives the game X-Fi support. With these two things it seems like it'd be a relatively new experience.

Yes, indeed.

Very much so.

Maybe its just me, but ive always thought certain aspects of the game seemed a bit...odd.

I don't remember thinking the game looked bad at all back then. But looking at the screen shots now, ya it looks odd. And really flat. But with six years gone by since I've last played it and all the games that have came out since, it's not great compared to todays standards.

But that add-on does make a difference.

Id say it makes it look....better...but not realistic lol. So you think that patch would work on a real Xfi chip or is it for cmedia only? (Assuming im reading your sig right...im super tired)

I don't remember thinking the game looked bad at all back then. But looking at the screen shots now, ya it looks odd. And really flat. But with six years gone by since I've last played it and all the games that have came out since, it's not great compared to todays standards.

But that add-on does make a difference.
I thought the shadows where over done and to simply cover up low quality textures. Ive always been a big graphics critic though even when this came out.

Id say it makes it look....better...but not realistic lol. So you think that patch would work on a real Xfi chip or is it for cmedia only? (Assuming im reading your sig right...im super tired)
Well, it's been five years since I played the game, but as far as I remember, the lack of HDR made the lighting seem pretty artificial. I mean, for the time it was cool, but still artificial. It's hard to tell the true sense from screenshots, but from what I can see it looks much more realistic than I remember the game being. The game's old...not doubt about it...and as such it won't be up to today's standards, but it was still an epic game nonetheless.

Since the patch was part of the package that came with my sound card I'm sure it's meant for X-Fi chips specifically. It just adds the support for that sound rendering to the game.

Well i worded that specifically because the Xtreme Audio is a CA0106 chip as opposed to an EMU20K1 chip like my Xtreme Gamer. Theres a difference, which is why i was asking if it would actually work because on the Xtreme Audio the Xfi-related stuff is processed through software rather than hardware.

I'm not sure then. My guess is it would work for any X-Fi capable sound card, whether hardware or software processing is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom