Doom 3 Problem No One Can Solve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see any jumping or snagging...
But, I do get the problem you describe!!!
Everytime I start up a game, for the first 2-3 minutes at a perfect beat it "snaggs" smooth, stop, smooth, stop etc. At perfectly timed intervels...then it just goes away!

Trust me, it's worse in real life than it is in the video I took. Compressing the video footage actually smooths it out just a tad. When you see it on my computer screen it's ghastly.

It's not so much of a stop, go, stop, go as it is a go, jump, go, jump. It's like the rendering skips ahead a few frames and bits of the surroundings teleport a few inches ahead of themselves.

I really bloody hope it's a power supply problem, I've had a couple of games crash on me recently, and from what I hear that's one of the symptoms. With my luck though, getting a new PSU won't do a damn thing.

Heyyo,

Check that you enabled vsync, and set your monitor refresh rate to around 75Hz if you can. I think your framerate's leaping about man, you gotta keep it more steady. ;)

One more thing.. you using any AA or AF? if so try turning both off, see if that smooths it. Sure the game won't look as great, but if this jump thing is really annoying ya...

Now, I havn't heard of albatron mobos, are they any good?

ThE_MarD: Running Doom 3 @ 75Hz is pointless, seeing as the engine's tic rate/FPS is capped at 60 FPS. Thus, with Vsync enabled, certain frames would be rendered twice, resulting in less-smooth movement. 60Hz refresh rate is the way to go in Doom 3.

chinagreenelvis: As everyone else has said, I don't see any problem here. The occasional 'stutter' you get in a PC game usually is a result of the game trying to access certain code/materials from the HDD (btw are you running the game on Ultra Quality?) that are not already stored in the frame buffer/VRAM. Or it could just be background apps hogging your CPU/system RAM's attention. Either way, it's perfectly normal; unless you talking about 1 second pauses every 10 seconds, then that is another story, but in this case I don't think you are ;)

Yeah, AA and Vsync and all that refresh stuff is all the first things that I tried. I'd be hard pressed to find a solution if changing the PSU doesn't work. I'd at that point be convinced that I've suffered some kind of damage to my graphics card or motherboard in a spot that only Doom 3 takes advantage of.

I guess the Albatron board is okay, I haven't read any complaints about them anywhere.

I see it clearly in the 2nd vid. I think it's just hella laggy. I've seen stuff like that happen on other games too. Not on MY computer of course...

chinagreenelvis:

I tryed out your problem, and law and behold the same thing happens to me. I ask everyone who owns a copy of Doom 3 to try it out: just strafe/move around and watch out for the little jerks in movement...

I guess it's just Doom 3 for you, one of many little quirks the engne has (such as the micro-second delay in weapon sound, the infamous character self-shadwoing bug etc)... hopefully Raven will fix all these problems for Quake 4 :)

You should post your problem on www.doom3world.org the guys there should be happy to hear about your findings.

Sweet. Someone else with the same problem. This is good. This is a step in the right direction.

I need to take a second to look at what's in your system here, maybe we have something in common. But I'm convinced that this snagging movement is not universal in Doom 3 - I recently played the game on my friend's AMD Athalon system w/ATI video card and it doesn't jerk around like it does on our systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom